Calling Cthulu............

iVillage Member
Calling Cthulu............
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 4:49pm
I understand a "National Witch Burning Day" is also in the works followed by a "Stone The Heretic" contest.Sacrificial goats are also avilable for those who qualify.

House Approves National Day of Prayer

By Associated Press

March 27, 2003, 2:23 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- The House passed a resolution Thursday calling for a national day of humility, prayer and fasting in a time of war and terrorism.

The resolution, passed 346-49, says Americans should use the day of prayer "to seek guidance from God to achieve a greater understanding of our own failings and to learn how we can do better in our everyday activities, and to gain resolve in meeting the challenges that confront our nation."

Under the resolution, President Bush would issue a proclamation designating a specific day as a day of "humility, prayer and fasting."

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said officials there had not looked at the resolution but "the president believes that faith and prayer are important and frequently references the importance of praying for American troops and for freedom around the world."

more........................

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-war-national-fasting,0,3211719.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dpolitics%2Dheadlines

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:52am
Nooooo-don't ask stop-or we'll have to read it.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:50am
uh oh-do we have to start reading his books?

Annie
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 7:24am
Well said.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:18pm
I don't see the connection between fasting, prayer, and "witch burning," but presumably if the "Blessed Jihad" ever succeeds in America (God forbid!) we can have a diversity-sanctioned "Allah is love and mercy witch-STONING day" as approved by extremists and militants the world around.

:-)

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 5:57pm
The way I read it, by passing the resolution, the government officially endorses religion as an important, almost necessary way for the US to win and cope with war. The way it comes across, it isn't just a pragmatic move, where people who want to pray for the war effort can have an official day to do so. The resolution suggests that all Americans SHOULD be praying on that day; that prayer itself is worthy and warranted. (Thus, it's similar to other days promoting awareness and reverence of some issue or person, even if people choose not to participate. By suggesting that the issue is respectable and worthy of its own national day, it's a prescriptive move.) The resolution is great for people who may have different religious beliefs, but the fact that it's endorsed by the government implies that those who don't see the issue as important aren't good Americans.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:41am
ITA, well stated.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 7:18am
I think you are missing or confusing the point. We are now in a war , the overt pressure has existed to be completely supportive since 9/11. People have been called "unpatriotic" for little or no reason. American citizens born in this county are being questioned if they are from the middle east or if they are Muslim. The "Patriate Act" waives 1st amendment rights in the name of security. The US by calling prisoner "military combatant" and keeping them off of US soil uses practices that are against the Geneva Conventions treatment of war prisoners. Ect etc. The entire atmosphere since 9/11 is what caused the overt pressure not just one resolution. One must look entire picture or it like the blind men and the elephant story.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:29pm
Am I correct in guessing that the resolution does not include any provision to give millions of federal workers the day off to fast and pray? I think that is a pretty gook indicater of how much resolve there is in the resolution.

Also, maybe I'm not paying attention, but I'm just not feeling the "overt pressure" to participate. There was also a resolution passed that made April autism awareness month. Do you feel that you are under "overt pressure" to wear the puzzle ribbon? (For some reason I am having flashbacks of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer got beat up for not wearing the AIDS ribbon)

Edited 3/28/2003 11:34:09 PM ET by lorien2000

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:09pm

well, the person who used to hang out on f.t. and who went by the name "chthlu" was a wiccan extremist, so I figure her name must have some wiccan connection.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:41pm
I agree. If the resolution is government sanctioned, that is where the problem is. There is an overt pressure implied in a resolution. If you don't participate you are "un-American" or many other words used over history. Anyone who wants to exercise their 1st amendment rights can and should, according to their own conscience. The government sanctioning is what gives this an ominous feeling.

Pages