Campus anti-semitism escalates (M)

iVillage Member
Campus anti-semitism escalates (M)
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:38am
http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/newscontent.php3?artid=7664

<<"all we are sayyyyyingggggg, is give Hitler a chance?">>

<<"Kumbaya, mein Fuehrer, kumbaya??" LOL!!!>>

"More Anti-Semitism On Campus

Continued rise in incidents is spurred by Israel-Palestinian violence; ADL report also shows city with 25 percent drop.

Eric J. Greenberg - Staff Writer

The home page of the University of Colorado Web site reveals a scene of striking beauty: an exquisitely designed red-brick, neo-Gothic building set against the rugged peaks of the Rockies.

But for Jewish students on the Boulder campus, the idyllic scene of the American West belies their experience on the front lines of a new kind of anti-Semitism playing out in recent years at American colleges and universities spurred by the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Last September, as Jewish students were holding a pro-Israel peace vigil, they were confronted by an angry crowd shouting “Nazi” and other epithets. Later “Jews rot in Hell” was spray-painted on a Jewish fraternity house, and a sukkah was defaced with a swastika.

These episodes are part of a 24 percent rise in anti-Semitic incidents on campuses nationwide in 2002, according to a survey released this week by the Anti-Defamation League.

It marked the third straight year that incidents increased, the ADL said.

The number of incidents, classified either as vandalism or harassment, jumped to 106 in 2002, compared to 85 the previous year. The 106 incidents are still below the 1994 high of 143. "

<>

<>

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:52am
Argh! That was supposed to be a 'two cents' emoticon...not that I'm not appreciative of you posting! LOL!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:51am
Interesting, because I haven't heard of any problems around here. We've been dealing with the White Supremists/Neo-Nazis who love to drop off their offensive 'literature' on people's doorsteps (mostly in less urban neighborhoods). What's apparently happening in Boulder is inexcusable.

Not that this has to do with your post in particular, but sometimes I wonder...when Israel is criticized for anything (even when it is deserved), I instantly hear charges of anti-Semitism. What's your take on that?