George's little antics.

iVillage Member
George's little antics.
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 12:06pm
All I can do is shake my head.

>"If you stayed up late enough to watch the announcement of the start of the war in Iraq, you might have caught a glimpse of something very unsettling. In an apparent error, the BBC aired coverage of pre-speech preparations, live from the satellite feed coming from the Oval Office.

The fact that the BBC has "profusely and repeatedly apologised" to the White House and that the administration has removed control of feeds from the networks and put it in their own hands as a result of the blunder, should indicate the seriousness of what you were not supposed to see. Ditto the absolute absence of any media coverage of the incident.

The footage was the most disturbing thing on television in some time. There was US President George W Bush, being prepped for his televised declaration of war. It was not the combing of his hair, the only aspect of the coverage reported by any American media outlet (the Washington Post in this case), which was cause for embarrassment; everyone expects that. Rather, it was the demeanour — I would say antics — of the president himself.

Bush, the so-called leader of the free world, was sitting behind his desk going over his speech, as we would expect. But then it got weird. I felt like I was looking behind the curtain, and it was uglier than I ever imagined.

Like some class clown trying to get attention from the back of the room, he started mugging for his handlers. His eyes darted back and forth impishly as he cracked faces at others around him. He pumped a fist and self-consciously muttered, "feel good," which was interestingly sanitised into the more mature and assertive, "I'm feeling good" by the same Washington Post.

He was goofing around, and there's only one way to interpret that kind of behaviour just seconds before announcing war on Iraq: the man is an idiot."< (more)

http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?pad=34,368,&item_id=29857

Photobucket&nbs

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 7:20pm
Sad commentary about his maturity level. I'm sure some will claim that he was just blowing off steam or something. But considering the seriousness of the situation, you'd think he'd be more constrained. {shaking head sadly...}

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:32am
So the PreZ can't have a personality or mood? He must be devoid of human emotion?

WHO CARES what he did. In the concept of things I don't see the implication.

Next time you are taking a dump,have a videotape made of yourself and then have it interpreted.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:01am

but didn't we already know that?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:30am
Excuse me, but he was just about to announce war, which is a very serious topic.

If he had been on the beach or playing with the dogs or taking his daily run, then levity is appropriate. It was in poor taste in this situation, when one might expect a certain level of decorum and thought for the troops that are being sent to war.

There is a time to joke around and a time to be serious. This was a time to be serious.

Example: It was funny when during the campaign, Bush was heard to call a reporter a donkey's behind (you insert the correct word) when he thought the sound was off. That just showed that he is human. This; however, shows a lack of compassion for the soldiers fighting the war and all people affected by it.

As for the comment about bathroom functions, IMHO that was also unwarranted.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:57am
I agree.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:01pm
Maybe my bathroom comment was unwarranted but at the time I was angry.

But-I still don't think you should judge him for pre-shoot banter.

i mean,the man must be stressed-and imagine having to speak without error to the entire world.

You may have some nervous things you say before you say your wedding vows-doesn't mean you don't mean the vows.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:10pm
He's the PRESIDENT of the United States...a little different situation. I kept hearing from the GOP/right wing during the Clinton Administration how Pres. Clinton was to be held to 'a higher standard of behavior'...why not Pres. Bush, as well??? After all, he was sending many in our military to their deaths, not to mention the unavoidable deaths of Iraqi civilians, and of the enlisted forces of our allies.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:36pm
You do realize that it's an article that I posted I did not write the article?

Although I do agree with the author.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:00pm
Ok-I agree to disagree with you. Even though you are a libra,I am too.

What is your stance on this war?

How am I to compare Clinton and Bush as far as antics go? I'm sorry-didn't quite understand your last message.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 2:14pm
Since I'm the one who posted about the unwarrnted bathroom comment. I'll respond to this post.

You stated:

"i mean,the man must be stressed-and imagine having to speak without error to the entire world.

You may have some nervous things you say before you say your wedding vows-doesn't mean you don't mean the vows."

I am not comparing myself to Bush, but I do a lot of public speaking. Someone who has done public speaking should be well aware of the fact that you don't make comments that you don't want to be heard before, during or after the speech. As for stress and being nervous, sorry someone in his position should be able to handle not only a speech but also the rapid fire of questions at a press conference and/or jeering, without breaking a sweat.

Frankly if I or any of my employees handled a presentation or a speech with such a cavalier attitude we would not be employed any longer. I ask professionalism of myself and my employees. We as a country have the right to ask that same level professionalism from our president.

Pages