Partners of federal employees, benefits.

iVillage Member
Partners of federal employees, benefits.
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 10:25am
What do you think?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Could this be abused?

Should bene's only be received to partners in a legal marriage? If yes. Do you approve of gay LEGAL marriage?

>"Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Lieberman said Monday that he will push a Senate bill that would extend benefits to partners of gay federal employees.

The legislation would give domestic partners the same benefits available to spouses of federal employees, including life and health insurance, retirement pay and compensation for on-the-job injuries. Domestic partners could be gay or straight, as long as they file an affidavit saying they are living together in a committed, intimate relationship, but are not married.

The legislation was introduced last year by Minnesota's Democratic Sens. Mark Dayton and Paul Wellstone, who died last fall in a plane crash. Lieberman, who is running for president, said he will pick up where Wellstone left off in pressing for the bill."< (More)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/31/lieberman.ap/index.html

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:27am
Domestic Partner Benefits shouldn't just include gays. It should include ANY

two adults who live together. Why should the "partners" in a domestic

household have to be having a relationship in order to qualify?
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:55am
There's the wrinkle. What you point out is the reason this could be abused. Why should the fed. gov. pay/subsidize for John/Jane Doe's roomie?

>"Domestic partners could be gay or straight, as long as they file an affidavit saying they are living together in a committed, intimate relationship, but are not married."<

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 4:25pm
I support this benefit, but, yes, I can see it being abused. But then, most 'benefits' are abused by someone somewhere. I know that the City of Seattle extends benefits to the domestic partners of their employees already. And I fully support legalizing gay marriages! I can't understand why a legal contract between two people should be denied because of the mores set forth by any religion. Marriage is so much more than just some religious ceremony.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 4:35pm
I totally support gay legal partnerships. I've seen what happens to a couple when one is sick & then dies. It's devastating. This couple had been together over 20 years & thought things had been taken care of legally.

Photobucket&nbs