Listening to the audio of Supreme Court

iVillage Member
Listening to the audio of Supreme Court
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 2:56pm
arguments today, it is fascinating.

Diversity must be a goal of the best schools. Those who are fighting the affirmative action rules that give preference to race in admission have no problem with preferences for family wealth that help some others get into school. If all preferences that aren't exactly focused on academics are not withdrawn, it is unfair to target the preferences for race. The reasons for race preference are to overcome years, centuries of racial discrimination. What is the reason for preferences based on wealth, absolutely nothing to do with the student or his/her merit, only to do with the good fortune of being born into or friends of good families.

I hear people talking about other ways to close the gap of opportunity for minorities as opposed to whites. Those are fine whenever they are put into place and are working, until then affirmative action must stay in place.

I laugh when I hear people say, well when will it all end. No one was concerned about that when for centuries African Americans were denied opportunities in this country, but now we have had affirmative action regulations for about 35 years and everyone needs to know when will it end. To be honest I think patience is in line for whites in this matter.

Cassandra

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 6:43am
This will be a landmark decision. IMO they should continue to uphold the status quo.

Bush has spoken out opposeing affirmative action. Being born into a white family of privelege could he even relate to the obstacles confronting black people?

If whites, that oppose affirmative action, were fully educated about the despicable treatment of blacks in the passed they would surely change the minds. Unfortunatly, still, too many draw conclusions about a person by the colour of their skin. Therefore to compensate for ignorance there needs to be laws inplace to level the playing field.

Good to see you on the board again Cassanda.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 6:44am
Past not passed.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:08am
Strongly agree!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:29am
---

Bush has spoken out opposeing affirmative action. Being born into a white family of privelege could he even relate to the obstacles confronting black people?

---

I haven't heard much of an alternative coming from him, other than using a phrase called 'Affirmative Access', which is as descriptive as saying: Fuzzy math.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 12:08pm
I must admit to being nervous. I heard the NPR commentators saying it was too close to call because Justice O'Connor was "playing her cards close to her vest." When you have a vested interest in the outcome her cards seemed very clear. She seemed inordinately concened about the open-endedness of the U of M program. She wanted a clear date when it would end and they never provided that. I thought their reposnse was good - Until there is a natural critical mass - of diverse students.

I see this country progressing (very slowly but progressing none-the-less). There will come a time when AA is not needed - we aren't there yet. When I was a girl the idea that there could be African Americans in the upper echelons of majority businesses was unheard of. We don't have enough but we are there; we were allowed to make good money, especailly as entertainers and athletes, but now we have business persons who are in the top tier of riches, Robert Johnson, Oprah Winfrey and others. As slowly as progress is being made it seems that the justices would realize, if we could tolerate the unmitigated racism of the past centuries until less than 50 years ago, we can give AA more than a quarter century to work its magic in leveling the playing field.

By the way I was very disappointed in Justice Scalia's argument over when does critical mass become a quota. It was illogical - everyone knows a quota is a definte target number, once reached no effort needs to be made to support diversity. Everyone I can think of is against quotas - opportunity and quotas are different, but I don't think he will allow himself to see that.

Cassandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 12:35pm
Info. Affirmative Access

1st one takes awhile to load. You need Acrobat reader. I tried to copy the paper but failed. Sorry.

It basicly states that in Austin, Tx. minority students dropped a little over 2% for both black & hispanics, from '95 to '97, under A.Access.

http://www.utdallas.edu/research/greenctr/Papers/pdfpapers/paper33.pdf

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20001101.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,76901,00.html

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:28pm
Still promoting racial discrimination I see, Cassie, and still refusing to acknowledge it for what it is. Why not drop the "Affirmative Action" label and just call it by it's true name, racial discrimination? Or does *that* name have too many negative connotations, so it has to be changed or altered to make it "respectable"?

~mark~

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:43pm
That second article was fascinating and, IMHO, right on the mark.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:13pm
I'm very much against wealth playing a part in college admissions, but race is not an answer either, it must be strictly on MERIT. You deserve NOTHING for the color of your skin, only the what you've done with your life and the merits of your mind. Slavery is over, and should be put to rest. Affirmative action, by the way, benefits ALL minorities, regardless of crimes committed against their ancestors. My ancestors didn't have affirmative action, they did it on MERIT, as should ALL.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:21am
You act as if Affirmative Action students/employees don't have merit, that is a fallacy in your argument. I explained that I was an Affirmative Action admittance into Southern Methodist University. I had higher LSAT scores than the average in the class and my GPA was superior to more than 50% of the class also. Affirmative Action means that if you are qualified you will be given a shot. What is it you don't understand about the fact that me and mine have often been qualified and denied opportunity anyway? Affirmative Action addresses that, not anything else. As the other poster said, so many qualified applicants apply to schools like U of M that they have many ways, including race, to decide who will improve the atmosphere on their campus, making it as challenging environment as possible. Doing so provides a better education for all not just the minorities affected.

Cassandra

Pages