Huge Squid Caught in Antarctic Waters

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:02pm

Thursday, April 3, 2003 · Last updated 3:00 a.m. PT

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apaa_story.asp?category=1106&slug=New%20Zealand%20Squid

By RAY LILLEY

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Fishermen working in Antarctic waters have made an extremely rare catch - a colossal squid with eyes as big as dinner plates and razor-sharp hooks on its tentacles, a marine researcher said Thursday.

The 330-pound, 16-foot-long specimen was caught in the Ross Sea, said Steve O'Shea, a research fellow with the Auckland University of Technology. He said the squid was a young female; adults are much bigger.

Going by the scientific name Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, the animal is unrelated to the smaller and more common giant squid, O'Shea said.

"This animal is formidable," he told New Zealand's National Radio.

While the giant squid eats "quite small prey," the colossal squid eats large prey like the Patagonian toothfish, which can grow more than six feet long.

Fully grown, the colossal squid would be "larger than any giant squid I have seen, and I've seen 105 of them," O'Shea said.

Only one other colossal squid has ever been caught before. Scientists knew of their existence because their beaks have been found in the stomachs of sperm whales.

"All we know is that it can move through the water ... to a depth of 2,000 meters (6,561 feet) and it is an extremely active and extremely aggressive killer," O'Shea said.

It differs from the giant squid "by having enormous hooks arming the tentacles and the arms," he said.

The creature makes up three-quarters of the diet of large sperm whales, which suggests there are large numbers of them in Antarctic waters, O'Shea said. He said the squid was caught near the surface of the ocean.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:24pm
So that's where he got off to! I've been looking for him.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:41pm
"Any truth to reports that the squid resembled", Just kidding!

I never heard of the Collossal Squid, always thought that the Giant Squid was the largest.How would you like to run into that while out fishing?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 3:53pm
LOL! Well, in looking at the photo on the link...okay, I'll behave! LOL!

I'd never heard that there was anything larger than the Giant Squid either...kind of makes me think of the Loch Ness Monster! ;-) Just hope they stay in those Arctic waters!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:06pm
I hope they left Mr Squid alive.

Annie
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 10:24pm
Still much unchartered territory under the oceans. Mariners for hundreds of years have told tales of sea monsters, maybe they were more than just 'fish' stories.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 10:38pm
The ocean is intriguing to me. Something in nature that can still beat us and hold and its secrets. I hope it always stays that way.

Annie
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 10:57am
They've been studying the underwater volcanic vents around here - and the life forms they've found are incredible! While I would give anything to be out exploring our galaxy, what we still haven't discovered here on our own planet is incredible. I just hope we can discover it before we somehow destroy it...

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:17am
The fisheries that are using those huge nets are doing mega damage to sealife. The other week I read an article, with pixs, of dophins that had died trying to escape from those nets & it was horrible. I decided not to post 'cause the pixs were so aweful.

Coral reefs dying off, which effects the fish living on them.

Mother Earth needs some TLC.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 4:56pm
Oooh, I saw him on the news on Friday while I was on the treadmill at the gym. Didn't hear the commentary but boy, he was BIG!

I hope they name him "Squidward"! LOL! Kiddin!

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 8:59pm
Glad to know I'm not the only one watching the news while I'm at the gym!!! ;-) At least they show ESPN & a local channel in addition to CNN...

Pages