B & B to hold war summit in Ireland.

iVillage Member
B & B to hold war summit in Ireland.
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 8:15am
Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling having Bush personally putting his finger in the Northern Irish pie. That silver tongued diplomat could turn the whole thing into hash.

;-)

Look what Sharon cooked-up in the Middle East, with support from Bush.

Complete article see link....

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/04/04/sprj.irq.bush.ireland.ap/index.html

>"The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the meeting near Belfast on Monday and Tuesday also will focus on efforts to bring peace to Northern Ireland and the Middle East.

It will be their third face-to-face talk in just over three weeks. The leaders met in the Azores on March 16, along with Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar, to announce the end of their diplomatic campaign. Bush and Blair held private talks at the Camp David, Maryland, presidential retreat March 27, more than a week after the war began."<

>"The pact's key accomplishment -- a joint Catholic-Protestant administration for the British territory -- fell apart last October after police uncovered evidence that the Irish Republican Army was running a spying operation from inside the heart of the administration. The scandal stoked Protestant opposition to continuing to work with Catholic hard-liners from Sinn Fein, the IRA-linked party.

A Bush visit now would be designed to maximize political pressure on all sides -- but particularly Sinn Fein and the major Protestant party, the Ulster Unionists -- to swallow unpalatable new compromises for the sake of wider peace."<

>"On the Middle East, Bush promised at Blair's behest to release his long-sought formula for peace once a new Palestinian prime minister is confirmed. The British prime minister has urged Bush to keep focus on the Middle East in an effort to temper criticism that the Iraqi conflict will inflame the Arab world."<

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:07am
Formula for peace...from Pres. Bush? {my side is aching from laughing!}

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 11:16am
Bush advisers split on UN role.

>"National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said a UN role was not currently under discussion, but Secretary of State Colin Powell said a dialogue on the UN role had already begun."<

(More see link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2919631.stm

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 11:30am
>"The decision to hold a "war summit" in Northern Ireland is insensitive, the Sinn Fein leader, Gerry Adams, has said."<

>"SDLP leader Mark Durkan said his party was perturbed by the summit.

"Hillsborough is being used for meetings to plan the further prosecution of the war in Iraq as well as to hold separate discussions on our own situation," he said.

"I cannot disguise my personal unhappiness at this, given my own opposition to this war and my concern for the integrity of our own peace process.""<

(More see link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2922567.stm

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 9:11pm
I won't say what I think of Ms. Rice, other than to say I can't remember a time when I've ever agreed with her. I desperately hope that Pres. Bush listens to Colin Powell...I doubt he will, but I will continue to hope...

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 9:14pm
Does anyone really think that Blair or Bush care what the Irish think? IMHO, Ireland was a very strange place to be holding this meeting. I just get the feeling that it's a 'thank you' from Bush to Blair...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:09pm
Found this.....

Hope the people of Ireland are tolerant of our presidentaial administration's ignorance. We really are getting a black eye in the world's view.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/098/nation/Geography_errors_underscore_Bush_s_low_interest_in_Belfast+.shtml

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:22pm
Unbelievable!

They'd better bone-up on their geography before 'waging' peace between Israel & Palestine. Heard on the news that's the next target.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 5:42pm
Maybe if we all threw in a penny or two, we could buy the White House a really GOOD and updated Atlas....