And they gave them cigarettes...

iVillage Member
And they gave them cigarettes...
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 6:55pm
Actually made them buy them! Gee...how healthy... ;-) Wonder what the guys who don't smoke got?

Troops go without, a sign short war was planned

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/116111_rest07.shtml

Monday, April 7, 2003

By RON MARTZ

COX NEWS SERVICE

WITH CHARLIE COMPANY, TASK FORCE I-64, NEAR BAGHDAD -- After nearly two weeks of daily contact with Iraqi forces, the soldiers of Charlie Company rested yesterday.

But the soldiers were unable to do any of the things front-line troops normally do on such days because supply lines have been unable to keep pace.

The soldiers did not read their mail because none is being sent forward. The soldiers did not enjoy a hot meal because field kitchens have not been brought forward to provide them some respite from prepackaged Meals Ready to Eat.

The soldiers did not enjoy a shower or have a chance to wash their sweat-soaked, bloodstained clothes because water has become critically short.

And the soldiers were unable to repair tanks and other armored vehicles because parts for them are lacking. So, they are scavenging from other vehicles to put together enough firepower to keep the pressure on Iraqi forces still holding out in Baghdad.

"You've got to expect things are going to break when you run them as hard as we have," said 1st Sgt. Jose Mercado, 40, of Quebradillas, Puerto Rico, the top enlisted soldier in Charlie Company.

The shortages are evidence that higher command did not plan on this war lasting more than five days. Troops left Kuwait with a five-day supply of water, food, ammunition and critical spare parts. In addition, repair teams followed the combat vehicles into Iraq. But with the war now well into its third week, keeping the troops supplied has become a problem higher command apparently is having a hard time solving.

In Baghdad on Saturday, troops spent more than 15 minutes under fire trying to salvage a tank with a fire in its fuel cell. They were not so much concerned about the tank as about the parts that could be scavenged.

Troops grumble good-naturedly about the shortages. Still, they chafe at the fact, as soldiers have for years, that while rear-echelon troops enjoy daily showers, fresh food, clean clothes and beds or cots to sleep in, they do without any of those.

Sensing troops needed a morale boost yesterday, task force officials bought 20 cartons of cigarettes from a local merchant, divided them among the five companies and sold them to the soldiers for $1 a pack.

"But what I would really like is a Pepsi with some ice. That would make my day," Mercado said.

© 1998-2003 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 9:00pm
I would be fine on the front as long as I had my smokes and a can of instant folgers.

Can you imagine trying to quit smoking and withdrawing from caffeine while sitting in a hot tank?

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 9:13pm
Having quit about 7 years ago, I can understand the difficulty. However, I'm curious what they offered as a 'morale boost' to those who don't smoke. Also, they SOLD them the cigarettes - why not just give those who wanted them each a pack?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:29am
I guess if they had given the cigs away they might have gotten some flak about supporting unhealthy habits?

Maybe the morale for the nonsmokers was that they no longer had to sit in a tank with a smoker going through withdrawals.

Annie
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:33pm
LOL!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:56pm
I would hate to be on the other side of the gun of a smoker not getting his smokes and his coffee!! Could you imgine...