Affirmative Action

iVillage Member
Affirmative Action
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:00pm
So I was reading the "Listening to the audio of Supreme Court" thread below and I'm confused. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I took American History in high school. I learned about slavery (about how only 10% of the people of the South had slaves), about how African-Americans had segregation (very sad to see how ignorant people can be), and about how they had a hard time after segregation was "ended" getting into good schools and getting good jobs. I thought that Affirmative Action was a GREAT idea. It really helped break down those barriers. But, I think that it's usefulness is comming to an end.

I can't tell you how TIRED I am of all the bull! I am a white girl. My family is upper-middle class. I have AWESOME ACT scores going into college. But you know what? I didn't get a DIME in aid. I had student loans up to my neck because I had to pay my way through. I had to EARN the right to get into the school of my choice, and I had to pay every cent. When I looked for scholarships, the only ones I found requested that you be a "minority". Because we all know that it is the color of your SKIN that makes you a decent member of society.

Now, after what? 35 years of Affirmative action... companies no longer have to be pressured into filling a status-quo. The previous feelings of dislike/distrust of "colored people" is no longer prevelent. A black person can walk into an interview and know that they will be judged on the merit of their SKILLS. They should be PROUD of that! They shouldn't want to hide behind some law. How can they have pride in their culture if they are dependent on the governement to ensure thier employment. I would think that more satisfaction would come from being the most qualified.

And as for my last note... I will NOT feel sorry for African-Americans who's ancestors were slaves. I don't feel personally responsible. My family immigrated to the America AFTER the Civil War. They all moved to the Midwest and became farmers. They didn't have slaves. Slavery is not part of MY heritage and I don't like being second-best because of what OTHERS did.

People accuse whites of being racist... I think that racism is equal-opportunty. I've been called names and I've been denied things because of the color of MY skin. It's not fair. We need to focus on what's INSIDE, not on what's outside.

~Leah

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-05-2003 - 8:52am
Hi Leah,

have you wondered why no one replied to ur post? is it because lack of empathy. Well let me tell you the story from a black female perspective. I also went to college. I also have student loans. I am now working on my PHD in immunology and yes I will have to pay them back. Now, something that people dont realize is that each generation does not exist

in a vaccum. 50 years ago, my grandparents who are alive today had to attend a segregated school, which was indeed inferior. My grandparents could only live in certain areas because of the color of their skin. Do you think when you are limited in income a certain neighborhood and a certain school district...does it affect another generation. Something to think about. Does it affect me?. Not ever to make excuses. I have taught in school districts that are predominantly urban with outdated or no textbooks. Urban schools have the most turn over and unqualified teachers.. Does that explain some of the so called statistics we see today?... you decide. As for seeing only minority scholarships...There are scholarships out there especially for minorities. And there is good reason for that. There are also grants based on income level. There are scholarship for being in the top ten and top five percent of your class. Were you in the top ten or five?...I was a national merit scholar? That brought in an extra 8,000 towards my tuition. Were you?..

Affirmitive action treats the symptom of the problem and not the desease itself. But affirmitive action also extends to white females. What you should ask yourself is why is it necesary. Search for the answer. Compare the statistics and funding of predominantly white schools versus predominatly minority schools. Compare the qualifications of teachers. Compare the test scores. When an equal playing feild is created then color will not be a factor until then,,,,,,
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-05-2003 - 1:24pm
Your right, of course. No one should be denied equal opportunity because of the color of their skin.

What I find disturbing is how far we've moved away from Dr. King's dream of a color blind society.

The times when universities were at the forefront of creating open integrated environments has long since passed, and everything from preferential admissions to segregated dorms and graduation ceremonies has created an atmosphere of heightened race consciousness on many campuses.

Renee

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-05-2003 - 2:01pm
Your perspective is very limited. Race consciousness has always been a factor in the lives of people of color. Always. We always had a separate culture, churches and schools. The problem now is white America is just feeling the discomfort. I dont know anything about segregated dorms. I already explained and told you to look into preferential admission. As for a separate graduation, I agree I do not see the point of that. Anyways, may i ask thisd have yiou ever walked in a room with 499 Black people and you are the only minority. You will be very conscious of that fact, trust me. Guess what this happens on every college campus everyday. I agree we should live in an color blind society but not one where the needs of a specific ethnic group is ignored.