I was listening to Ari Fleischer

iVillage Member
I was listening to Ari Fleischer
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 4:06pm
last week and heard the most interesting comment.

The reporters were grilling him about the Marines doing nothing about the looting by the Iraqis. He finally became exasperated and told them, "This is what would be expected from people who have been oppressed." Now where was Ari when the oppressed people of South Central Los Angeles, Detroit, or Newark rose up and revolted including looting their neighborhoods. What a convenient explanation. I bet everyone in South Central completely agrees with the President's Press Sec'y - it is the oppressed people that burn their own neighborhoods and loot their own stores!:-)

Boy, nothing worse than a hypocrit!

Cassandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 3:11pm
Your comparison is lame to say the least. To compare the lives of the Iraqi's under Sadaam to blacks in this country is obsurd.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 4:17pm
Have you lived in the ghetto lately? Have you noticed some of the profiling and police brutality - say, in Los Angeles? Have you visited the prison system? Sure, there are some dramatic differences, but there are enough similarities to call for a comparison.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:07pm
I would very suprised to find out your were black, and that being said you have no right to decide how I see my life in this country. When I read about the young man in Cincinnati who was being served a traffic warrant and ended up dead by police who shot first and asked questions later; and the deaf man raking his leaves in his own front yard in Detroit and police thought he was "holding a weapon" (his rake) and shot and killed him when he didn't immediately respond; and Amadu Diallo was taking out his wallet to show police he belonged in his own apartment building and he was shot 41 times for doing just that; and the many, many other examples known and unknown, I would say there are many African Americans who see their plight quite similar to others who have lived under oppression.

You don't find it at all strange that you believe you have the right to decide whether or not African Americans are oppressed. What arrogance.

Cassandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 11:34pm
Cassandra,

So if you thought the mental hospitals in the USA stink but you don't have a mental illness you aren't justified in making any decisions?

i do understand where you are coming from-to a degree.

Annie
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 12:03pm
I'm white but that doesn't stop me from seeing the areas in which this society discriminates against the non-whites. No, it isn't as bad as it was in the 1960's and, no, it is not as bad as conditions are reported in Iraq, but there are definate problems that exist here and it is both arrogant and ignorant to fail to understand that.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 4:52pm
Exactly. We need to look in our own backyard before we start criticizing others. And, yes, the situaton here isn't like Iraq or that in some of the African nations where unrest and political/religious conflict are constantly boiling, but that's still no excuse.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 10:36am
You right about looking into one's own backyard. Blacks need to realize their generational welfare dependancy, lack of family structure, drugs, alcohol, lack of interest in education etc. has a lot to do with their situation in the inner cities.

TONS of dollars have been spent throwing money at the problem with no avail. Instead of focusing on this, black leaders are more concerned with stealing money from "the white folk" (reparations). Blacks are being "had" by while liberals that want to continue to keep them in the victim mentality, and it's working.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:19pm
While I agree that there are many issues that need to be addressed concerning this particular one, I have also seen prejudice at work in our society. And oppression does exist here...and that was the point of MY post.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 9:54pm
Yes, your point was obvious to me. I don't know why there would be any confusion about it.