PA Student Kills Principal, Then Self...

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 2:48pm
From the way the kid was apparently armed, he could have easily killed more than just his principal.

From AOL News site:

RED LION, Pa. (April 24) - A heavily armed 14-year-old boy shot and killed his school principal inside a crowded junior high cafeteria Thursday morning, then killed himself, authorities said.

The shootings happened about 15 minutes before the start of classes at the Red Lion Area Junior High School, about 30 miles southeast of Harrisburg in south-central Pennsylvania.

The eighth-grader had multiple weapons and fired at least two shots with a handgun, said Red Lion Borough Police Chief Walt Hughes.

The principal, identified by school district officials as Eugene Segro, was transported to a hospital in critical condition where he was pronounced dead, police said.

Segro had been at the school for more than a decade and was believed to be in his early 50s, said Terry Robinson, the school district's business manager.

Neither Robinson nor Hughes was aware of any recent turmoil or student suspensions at the school.

''There's a lot of things we don't know right now,'' Hughes said.

Police and Red Lion Area Superintendent Larry Macaluso declined to name the teenager, but said he was not known for disciplinary problems. They did not know of any disputes between the student and Segro.

Other students said the principal was well-liked.

''He was fair and wasn't mean to anyone,'' said seventh-grader Matt Templeton, who by the lockers when students started running from the cafeteria.

''Everyone ran out of the cafeteria yelling 'He has a gun,''' said eighth-grader Danny Dulin.

The school's approximately 875 students were taken to nearby Red Lion Area Senior High School after the shooting, and officials planned to dismiss them for the day, as well as students from the high school and a nearby elementary school, Robinson said.

Students who witnessed the shooting were being seen by counselors, police said.

''We have the basic security, the building has a locked door, we have (security) cameras, the things we have in every school,'' Robinson said. He said the school does not have metal detectors.

Patrick McFadden, executive director of York County's Department of Emergency Services, said the student shot himself, but Hughes said the circumstances of the shooting were still under investigation.

The same school district was the site of a machete attack on a kindergarten class that injured a principal, two teachers and 11 of the 23 pupils in 2001. A Tennessee man angry about his divorce and allegations he had molested his stepdaughters pleaded guilty to the attack and was sentenced to 132 to 264 years in prison.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 3:48pm
Very sad. Wonder how a 14 year old came to have "multiple weapons"?

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 4:14pm
I agree.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 11:01pm
According to the media accounts I am familier with the reason the little murderer had several guns was because he broke into a locked steel gun safe.

Now lets discuss this paragraph at the end of the news quote in the post starting this thread.

"The same school district was the site of a machete attack on a kindergarten class that injured a principal, two teachers and 11 of the 23 pupils in 2001. A Tennessee man angry about his divorce and allegations he had molested his stepdaughters pleaded guilty to the attack and was sentenced to 132 to 264 years in prison."

It seems a machete -- a tool used by Girl and Boy Scouts, farmers and ranchers, and gardeners everywhere -- is much more effective in killing and maiming lots of people at this school than a backpack full of guns.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 2:13am
Never saw a girl scout with a machete,not seen too many local gardeners with a machete here either. I reckon they would come in handy in the jungle or outback though.

Maybe the individual with the gun couldn't aim well, didn't want to kill everyone,just certain people. Maybe the machete guy was out to take as many innocents with him as possible.Good thing he didn't have a gun,imagine if he knew how to shoot and aim,those injured might possibly have died.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 10:14am
Well said!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 5:58pm
>>>"Never saw a girl scout with a machete,..."

I guess it depends on the Scouts and what they are working on. Machetes are very handy in most camping and wilderness endevors where open fires and improvised shelters are allowed.

>>>"...not seen too many local gardeners with a machete here either."

Again, it depends on the gardeners and the garden or landscapeing.

>>>"I reckon they would come in handy in the jungle or outback though."

Yes. And in all manner of outdoor areas in the US too.

Now, what is your point?

>>>"Maybe the individual with the gun couldn't aim well, didn't want to kill everyone,just certain people."

Then the question of "lots of guns" is moot isn't it? However, the origional question was how did he get them.

>>>"Maybe the machete guy was out to take as many innocents with him as possible.Good thing he didn't have a gun,imagine if he knew how to shoot and aim,those injured might possibly have died."

The machete was the best weapon of choice for attacking a bunch of unarmed people not trained or incapeable of self-defense. Had he known where on his victims to "chop" or "slash" none would have survived. All would have bled to death or died of a split skull.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 6:37pm
I was responding to your post-not the OP. Those were my thoughts and I will let them stand.

Best wishes, Annie