Can liberals admit they were wrong?

iVillage Member
Can liberals admit they were wrong?
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 1:52pm
At least ONE has, Chris Matthews. It's quite obvious to me that BUSH HATERS have lost

all sense of thought. Even democratic candidate Dean "wasn't sure" the Iraqi's were

better off now than under Sadaam. What a MORON! He fits right in with the rest of the

left-wing bunch.

Here is an excerpt from Chris Matthews:

"I was wrong about the war," Matthews said in a booming voice, immediately gaining the attention of 600 people at the Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale.

Matthews, who described himself as a liberal, said he thought the Iraqi people would fight American troops, there would be a worldwide Arab uprising, and terrorist groups such as al-Qaida would see "massive" recruitment.

"I thought there would be an Arab revolt, a tremendous uproar," he said. "Nothing happened. I hate being wrong, but I’m glad."

Matthews told the crowd that he has not admitted "on TV" that he was wrong about the war.

More at:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7794263&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7576&rfi=6

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:08pm
Chris Matthews a Liberal? That's a stretch, he went over to the Dark Side after the Selection of 2000. Just look at his show it's filled with right wing hacks.

I think some better questions would be,"Will conservatives ADMIT that bush and Co. fabricated evidence to justify invading Iraq"?

Will Conservatives ADMIT that the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq could be a More dangerous country ruled by Muslim Radicals with ties to Iran?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:13pm
"Could be" is the operative word. That remains to be seen because, after all, the conservatives were right all along thus far.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:17pm
"Right all along thus far"

Your going to have to explain that one.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:33pm
Give it time, the current political climate in Iraq is a cauldron waiting to be boiled over.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:33pm
Right about what? That we could "win" this "war"? Well, duh...that's a no-brainer. Let's see, what else have they been right about? They haven't found any WMD. We already knew Hussein was a psycho (so, I don't think that they can claim being 'right' about that)...

Besides, this whole thing is so far from over, that it will be years (possibly decades) before any conclusions can be made...if they can ever be made, because I don't believe we'll ever know the real story about this 'war'. And let's not forget Afghanistan (although the Bush administration seems to have). Our (mis)handling of the situation there has been sadly inept.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:34pm
Agreed, calling Matthews a liberal is pretty inaccurate.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:40pm
All they've been 'right' about, is a military victory to oust Saddam.

What they've not been right on:

The immediate threat to national security due to Saddam's proliferation of WMD, all signs point to Blix's assessment before the war, they're long gone.

Gone already are the pictures of Saddam's statue falling, and cheers for US troops. Iraqi's by the tens/hundreds of thousands are calling for the US to leave, not what I'd call a political victory.

As for uproar/consequences from the Arab community: It took 10 years for 9/11 to happen, and that's because the 'US defiled Saudi soil'. All from one enraged man with loads of money, it's way too early to predict that 'nothing will happen' due to the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:24pm
Kinda like the pre-war mantras, "It'll be another Vietnam", or "thousands of our young people will die"? Tee hee.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:27pm
That's it? That's your retort?

OK, when you're ready to compare apples with apples, come back. It appears to me, you would rather make a shallow statement, based on a statement by someone like Chris Matthews, then proceed to do nothing but post inflamatory remarks with little substance to real political debate when someone disagrees with your supposed point of view.

So yeah, I'm wrong. When I see 100's of thousands of Iraqi's chanting 'US GO HOME', I'm sure it's par for the course in a normal day in Iraq and we can expect their full and undivided cooporation on helping us force a government on them.

Wag the dog

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:39pm
<>

WRONG. Blix did NOT assess that weapons were "long gone" before the war. Blix fought tooth and nail to KEEP his job inspecting because he thought it was necessary. He did this right up until the war started.

<>

Can you prove those Iraqi's that cheered are the very same now calling for the U.S. the leave? I appears Shiite radicals are behind the protests, NOT all Iraqi's. What you are not seeing in your negative mind are the many Iraqi's that are working to rebuild their society with the help of the U.S. You may see this as a BAD thing but considering we are a great democracy, I see this as GOOD.

Pages