Salt Lake City residents most generous

iVillage Member
Salt Lake City residents most generous
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 7:43am
>"SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) --Among the nation's major metropolitan areas, residents of the Salt Lake City and Ogden area in Utah are the nation's most generous, and people in Hartford, Connecticut, are the least, according to a study by the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Salt Lake City-Ogden residents who itemized their federal tax deductions gave nearly 15 percent of their discretionary income to religious and nonprofit causes, according to the study being published Monday.

The runner-up was Michigan's Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland area, at 10 percent."<

>"Conversely, contributions to United Way of the Capital Area in Hartford, Connecticut from the 40 towns served by that regional agency are almost double the national average on a per-capita basis, said Susan Dunn, senior vice president.

"What we see in the Hartford region is a very generous community,"Dunn said."<

(more see link)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/04/27/charity.giving.ap/index.html

Photobucket&nbs

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 9:53am
Is it because of the dominance of the Morman church and its tithing requirement? If so, that's not "generous" to anything but the church.

http://lds.org/newsroom/showpackage/0,15367,3899-1---2-527,00.html

Lib

Edited 4/28/2003 9:55:17 AM ET by oldlibber

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 10:32am
That was my initial thought as well.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 12:20pm
In defense of the Salt lakers,I stayed in Salt lake for a month and I took the bus everywhere and never met so many friendly people. Went hiking with some.Not once did anyone hand me a pamphhlet either. The city is super clean,the bus transit system is awesome. You have the dessert on one side,mountain ranges right on the other.Very nice city.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 3:51pm
I've heard the same, but I've also heard from my ex-boss, who told us exactly what it was like growing up non-Mormon in SLC (try being looked down upon and constantly having people trying to get you to become Mormon). She told me that the locals are very nice to 'visitors', but beware the local laws...holding hands in certain areas of the city is forbidden; if you want to have a cocktail, you have to buy a 'license' that allows you into private clubs; etc. It's beautiful, it's clean, and it's completely controlled by the Mormon Church. You should have heard the uproar when the Olympic athletes were provided condoms in their 'welcome' packages...many thought that meant the athletes would be out 'scouting' for the local boys and girls... {rolling eyes!} I wish I still had that article - it was from the local SLC paper.

But the point is, members of the Mormon church are REQUIRED to contribute a set amount of their income to the church. This all goes on the tax return as 'donations' - doesn't specify whether it's going to help the general public or just the church...

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 8:26pm
Well,since I had never heard from anyone else I only have my personal experience to go on.

keep in m ind,I was there a month,not a lifetime.

Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 9:02pm
I didn't mean to give the impression that I was questioning your experience. Only relating 'second-hand' info about growing up there. It's really all in the experience...I know people who think Seattlites are the nicest people, but others who think that while we're very 'polite', we are also cold & distant. It's all in who you meet. :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 11:33pm
agreed.I was in miami for a week and hated the atmosphere there,but maybe it's the nicest place in the world. My fianceewanted to move to Seattle.He said its real nice there.I want ocean rural or mountain rural when we do manage to buy a home.heck,I'd go back to Europe somewhere but my F would lose his VA benefits etc.

Annie
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 1:52am
Rolling my eyes at the misconceptions of Mormons,,,,FYI I'm a non mormon and did not convert! members of the Mormon church are REQUIRED to contribute a set amount of their income to the church<<<>>>>>you have to buy a 'license' that allows you into private clubs;... The License is a year "membership" to drink, but the Elks lodge charge their members a membership fee, and they have bars in most isn't that the same idea....But you must go to a liquor store to buy alcohol you can NOT just get it from the local grocery store unless it is beer not sure on that, but I seem to remember something about 3% only, but not sure about the beer in the grocery store, and Sundays not allowed…

.>>>holding hands in certain areas of the city is forbidden...>>>..Geeesshhh my husband and I toured all over the city around the Temple and NO ONE said anything to us about holding hands...The Mormons are big on dances at the different wards for the Teens and the single adult members. . I don't know if things have changed since your friend lived in Utah, but I have visited SLC and it is a totally different world. I have family that lived and worked for the government in Utah and guess what they are NON MORMON she moved up in here job, and NO ONE tried to pressure her into converting. >>>

This all goes on the tax return as 'donations' - doesn't specify whether it's going to help the general public or just the church…>>>If I give money to the United Way I do not know exactly where it is going.? Didn't we learn that after Sept. 11, 2001...

http://www.saltlakecityutah.org/liquorlaws.htm

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 2:48pm
<>

You must have a very understanding and open-minded DH because the two friends I had who married Mormons were pretty much pressured not only by their future in-laws, but also by the fiancees & the ministry, to convert. Not that it's much different than stories I've heard from relatives about the Catholic church...

Secondly, in referring to the 'donations' required by the Church, I have been told that by quite a few people who ARE members of the Mormon Church. Of course, no one is going to force you to donate a specific amount, but I've been told that if you have it, you better donate the minimum - but that was in SLC. I have no idea of what goes on out-of-state.

<>

Uh, no...we sure don't have to buy a 'license' or pay a 'membership fee' to drink here! My point is that you can't walk into a bar/tavern in SLC and just have drink...I don't know about restaurants, whether they serve alcohol or not. And so what about the private clubs, it's the same here. It's the "public" options that are non-existent.

<>>If I give money to the United Way I do not know exactly where it is going.? Didn't we learn that after Sept. 11, 2001>>

The point is that it tips the scales to make it look like residents of SLC are more 'generous' in their giving. If you take the church donations out, I'll bet you'd find that they are more on a par with everyone else. That was the whole point.

<>

We have only state run liquor stores here as well. But, we can purchase beer (up to 5%, I think) and wine at the grocery store any day of the week. Still, this has nothing to do with the availability of taverns/bars. All it says is that you can drink in private (at your home or someone else's).

<>

They sure made a big deal out of it during the Olympics...some square in front of the temple had been 'donated' to the church by the city. The police said that they would enforce the church rules of no holding hands, etc.

And my former boss still has family there. She & her DH go to SLC at least 4 times a year. She thinks SLC is a beautiful place and she enjoys visiting there, but she would never live there again (she lived there until her mid-20's, I think).

Finally, I have nothing against Mormons or SLC. I get really annoyed when they come knocking on my door and try and convince me that their way is the 'true way'...but, most of that I take as youthful energy. ;-) I feel the same way when the JW's come knocking as well! LOL! It's just that it amazes me how Utah is such a church-controlled state. Separation of church and state there is only a myth.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 9:07pm
As for the holding hands comment I have never heard that, my in-laws have never heard of that, in fact my husband tells me that he and his ex Mormon girlfriend who's father was a bishop at one time,,, held hands in Church. His family goes wayyyyy back to when they came across the plains, and his mom knows a lot about it. They do not pressure me at all, I think they are just happy someone married their son...LOL

The donating comment they do not put pressure on you to donate infact we are visited by missionaries all the time they have never once asked for money, or have they ever tried to convert me,,,but I was married by a bishop, and that was the only time that there was a little bit of pressure to convert, and it was only about a 5 minute talk. I told him I was not interested at that time,,which I thought was fair...however this is in CA which I'm sure is different from Utah. My family has lived in Utah for over 10 years tells me there is no pressure for her to convert.

The point I was making, is we have membership clubs here like example the "Elks" club, and they charge a membership. Most have bars in them, and it works the same way as Utah. You could be sponsored or pay the membership fee. If you look at it you pay a cover charge to get into a club here,,, if in Utah they are not charging you to get in the club you make out. The membership fee is like paying a cover charge once a year, that is if they really don't charge a cover charge... I don't think it's a big deal that they charge a yearly fee or a temp 2 week fee it's really no big deal. Some of the clubs here in L.A. I wish there was a membership fee once a year to get in them..LOL At least they allow you to drink in the state unlike in some other southern states that have dry counties. It seems that Utah is trying to welcome more and more even if it means coming forward to the 21st century. ;)

.>>>>The point is that it tips the scales to make it look like residents of SLC are more 'generous' in their giving. If you take the church donations out, I'll bet you'd find that they are more on a par with everyone else. What???? So, they donate to their church so be it,,,Utah is like I said before a totally different world. Coming from the Los Angeles area, when I have visited I found the people a little too trusting and a little naive, but that is a good thing. I liked Utah especially the skiing which is the best on earth…But Yes, the church does in my opinion control things, but I’m seeing it from the outside. When I first met my husband we were out to dinner I made a comment that put my foot right into my mouth,,,I said “The Mormon religion is like a cult”. His answer was…”I’m Mormon and my exgirlfriend was and her father was a bishop”. Oppsss!! LOL!!! 1 year later we were married… It's been 5 years....

Pages