Payback Time.......

iVillage Member
Payback Time.......
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 9:41am
for states that left US in lurch.

More bullying tactics from this administration.

>"In the aftermath of the Iraq war, the Bush administration has begun diplomatic reprisals against states that refused to support military action.

So far the payback campaign is symbolic, but observers worry the tone could worsen in the looming UN debate over the shape of post-war Iraq, and could trigger a trade war.

"It's posturing mainly," said Phyllis Bennis, an analyst at the Washington Institute for Policy Studies. "But the extraordinary thing is, there hasn't been any let-up."

Among members of the UN security council, the principle victim of Washington's displeasure has been Chile, which had been about to sign a free trade agreement with the US.

The deal had been bundled with a similar pact for Singapore, but has since been "unbundled". Singapore's prime minister, Goh Chok Tong, who supported the war, has been asked to the White House to sign his deal next week. Chile is still seeking a date, and the US trade representative, Robert Zoellick, has mused publicly on America's "disappointment" with Chile's attitude in its time of need.

Canada has also been on the receiving end of White House anger. A visit to Ottawa next week has been cancelled, because Mr Bush is too busy. However, time has been found to host Australia's prime minister, John Howard, an enthusiast for the war, at the presidential ranch in Texas.

Tony Garza, US ambassador to Mexico, another security council member that opposed the war, promised his hosts there would be no direct economic reprisals. But, he added: "The fallout will be that things won't happen as quickly as Mexico would like." And this year's Mexican Cinco de Mayo holiday, previously marked by the Bush White House, will be toned down or not held at all.

US officials say measures against France and Germany are still being contemplated. But the secretary of state, Colin Powell, has made it clear there would be a price to pay."<

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,945480,00.html

Photobucket&nbs

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 9:43am
More stupid posturing from the Bush Administration. Amazing, all this hoopla over a 'threatened' veto from France.

What say to the dozens of Vetos exercised (After 9+ yea votes) by the United States on UN security council resolutions aimed at forcing Israel to comply with past ones?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 10:15am
Sounds like the bully on the playground, doesn't it? Or junior high 'social wars'. How completely and totally lame this administration's attitude is - how juvenile. So, other countries MUST agree with us or they pay the price? This attitude not only sickens and disturbs me, it also scares me...might is right; our way or the highway; if you not with us, you're against us. Also makes me wonder how long before this warped attitude is turned more fully on our own people... Of course, that's assuming that the rest of the world doesn't band together against our 'superior attitude'.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 11:06am
The same bullying is going on here to get the 'tax cut' passed. The admin. is calling local business' in states where the representatives disagree with the 'tax cut' & getting business people to call the rep.'s to vote or else.

This is what politics has come down to bullying & blackmail.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 1:27pm
Paybacks are a bitch! Just ask Helen Thomas! LOL You people seem to think what Bush is doing is something new. Foreign affairs in any country includes the old adage, "you scratch my back, and I will scratch yours".
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 1:45pm
Maybe you've been asleep for 100 years, this is nothing new. Unfortunately.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 4:31pm
..you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours.... trouble is, G.W.Bush didn't do any scratching at all while having his own back royally scratched, & that's why we are left to pay for rebuilding Iraq all alone with no allies. I had read that G.W. is petty & vindictive and holds grudges forever and this bears it out. I'll give him credit for being right that Saddam needed to be taken out, and that the UN was ineffective, but he failed to garner the support needed and he's damaged our foreign relations for at least the next generation.

His father and James Baker did plenty of back scratching in the years before the first Gulf War, before Iraq even invaded Kuwait, so we had plenty of help in that war when it happened.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 4:51pm
It's no different from France Inc. bullying prospective EU membership nations to not support the U.S. a month or so ago.

~mark~

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 5:29pm
Can we endure two more years or can we impeach this self-centered buffoon. :-)
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 6:08pm
We already have our "Show Bush the door in 2004" sign up! LOL!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 7:35pm
Why doesn't this surprise me? The Shrub is just a big bully!

Pages