Laura Visits Sesame Street

iVillage Member
Laura Visits Sesame Street
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 12:28pm

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 1:03pm
LOL! BUT, how did she react to Bert & Ernie???? ;-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 1:56pm
PBS budget cuts, good topic! Considering this organization has become a pawn for left-wingers it should strictly be donation-only funded. Also throw in NPR, same story.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 2:19pm
Yeah let's not fund something intelligent, informative and entertaining. I'll bet you don't have any problem with funding Faith Based (Fairy Tale Based) groups, do you? And do you think it's a good idea for Laura to be on a Children's show, I mean she was involved in a killing and it might be sending the wrong message to our little ones.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 2:31pm
Yeah, I know...shows like Nova, Discover, Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, music concerts, shows about WWII, etc....they are ALL so 'left' and unnecessary...

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 2:34pm
You do realize, don't you, that the local PBS affiliates have to raise the majority of their operating funds through pledge drives? And, I listen to NPR quite often and they are very good at broadcasting both sides of any given story...much better than Fox, CNN, etal.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:17pm
Let private donors fund programing NOT taxpayer dollars. If the government has to fund these programs then obviously people aren't watching. With childrens cable stations, dvds, there is no reason to throw money into something people aren't watching.

As for killing and Laura, what a whacko statement.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:18pm
NPR reflects BOTH sides? Not in my lifetime.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:36pm
Add Frontline and Mystery to the list. I have been a fan of Mystery for years, I don't know what it is but the Brits do a much better job than their American counterparts. They have better production values, better writing and better acting than what passes for drama here in the USA. My favorite current show on TV is the Brit show "Coupling", it is just great, an Adult comedy unlike the adolescent drivel we get on American TV.

And Yes I am "Friend Of PBS", I make a pledge every year.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:56pm
Have you seen "The Office"? It's hilarious.

We pledge every year too!

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 5:44pm
Many shows are funded by private grants. A lot of the operating costs come from buying the rights to air different programming. Do you think that the BBC (as an example) just "gives" PBS the rights to air programming? PBS isn't allowed to sell advertising because it is PUBLIC television, so how else will they raise money in a struggling economy? Many more people watch PBS than 'subscribe' to it with pledges.

Besides, what programs do you believe are so 'left' on PBS?

AND, many people opt not to have cable or can't afford it. Also, many of these shows would never be seen if people had to buy or rent DVD/VHS copies...and I mean shows like Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Reading Rainbow, Nova, Mystery, and all those wonderful British series, etc. PBS exposes people to shows that they might normally not think of watching - and, in many cases, gets them interested in something new or different.

And yes, we pledge every year as well - both my DH & I are 'second-generation' supporters of PBS.

Pages