Democracy is God's gift to the world

iVillage Member
Democracy is God's gift to the world
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 10:51am
In case anyone had any doubts. At least, that is what our fearless leader says about democracy. Guess all that blarney about government being "of the people, by the people and for the people" was just wrong. Who writes this crap?

Leah

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 12:43am
I'll go you one better....there isn't a single evolutionary biologist who feels that way. The entire "man came from monkeys" argument was made up by the Reverend Wilberforce when he debated Huxley on the issue of Darwins Theory of Natural Selection way back around 1860. Creationist have been using it ever since....but then misunderstanding natural selction and evolution is so incredibly common that one shouldn't be surprised by this.

moonlight

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:51am
---

Maybe you are one that thinks they are from monkeys? If so then we have nothing left to discuss on this issue.

---

I don't know a single Athiest who feels that way.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:47am
Curious, what does God have to do with American History? Is God responsible for history? By that logic, God would also be responsible for all the great atrocities of the world. I doubt that your God or anyone else's god is responsible for things like the Holocaust. So, either history (a culmination of events) is created by man or created by God. I prefer the former because if God IS responsible for the Holocaust, then I have lost my faith. I don't remember learning that "and on the 8th day, God created democracy." Further, by making such an outrageous statement Bush implies that other forms of government are created by something other than God. Finally, by suggesting that a form of government is in a sense "ordained" by God, he spits on the Constitution. You know, that document that says there shall be a separation of church and state. Perhaps not, since your version of American government and history is taught through the prism of creationism? And on the 9th day, God created America and place George Washington above all others.....

Leah

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:24am
Yes I guess we did...Last time I checked Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin were human beings. I was always taught that human beings were a gift of GOD. Maybe you are one that thinks they are from monkeys? If so then we have nothing left to discuss on this issue.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:54am
I guess we learned about american government differently. I learned that it was "created" by men like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams ect. I wasn't aware these men were messengers of God.

Leah

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:30pm
SIGH....I really wish I had an emoticon for Shaking head...Not much else to say to this post.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:18pm
I rated your message, well it's still confusing for me, I guess. LOL.

Bush and co. are killing democracy. Don't worry for NOW.

Do you have a, in your opinion, better regime? How does it look like?

Absolutism?

Monarchy?

Dictatorship?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:48pm
HI DONNA,

As far as I know is America (at least)officially a Democracy. There are other regimes,

so which do you prefer?

Absolutism, Dictatorship and lots of others that you CERTAINLY know. Maybe ABSOLUTISM?

You know one of the parts is that the king/president or whoever in the highest position is believed to be elected by God. Another part is that he has to fight with his folk too in Wars. That is very little and I don't have time, but of course you know about those WONDERFUL regimes.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:20pm
Amen, oops I mean Here,Here. bush is big on using all this religious rhetoric, just a bunch of nonsense but the right wing eats it up.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:13pm
Hi Leah,

Democracy (rule of the majority) is a dangerous thing because what is good for the masses isn't always right or good for the individual. Fear of rule by the majority is the very reason our founding fathers created the United States as a republic (a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law). This is important to remember. For this reason, I am thankful we are a republic (although I blame the masses for not holding our elected officials more accountable).

Donna