Cont. or M. Moore discussion arch. board

iVillage Member
Cont. or M. Moore discussion arch. board
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:21am
To Quaft1 regarding my credibility. I don't understand your question. What do I have to prove to you or anyone else on this board about my credibility to state my opinion? In my response to Moores letter I specifically addressed his citation of the Pope, something I found inconsistant with his usual anti-church posture. I therefor questioned that citation since it seemed hipocritical to cite the the Roman church only when convenient.

In the case of Mr. Moore, he is a public figure, an identifiable icon who has clearly stated positions and opinions in the public forum. I don't agree with him, I think he has a very strongly slanted opinion which he expresses by sliding between cute, silly and unfactual hyperbolic statements, and boiler plate left wing rhetoric without distinguishing between them. He offers nothing of defensible substance to the public debate and should be considered left wing entertainment at most. That is my opinion, do I need to convince you of my qualifications to state my opinion?

Asking me what credibility I have in criticizing him is inappropriate. The resulting threads which you shared with Mohadib went in the direction of making a personal attack on me, but did nothing to defend Moores letter. Mohadib is famous on these boards for attacking people with all sorts of sarcastic vitriol without ever really stating anything other than jingoistic rhetoric, is that the camp in which you reside also?

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:24pm
It wouldn't be much of a debate. Michael Moore would probably leave in tears after 10 minutes. Michael Savage is brutallt tough, and he knows the facts! Someone like Michael Moore who argues from rhetoric and illusion would look foolish.....sort of like when Al Gore, Dan Quayle and Adm. James Stockdale (ret.) were involved in the V.P. debate back in the 1992 elections.

If you have not read his book "Savave Nation", I highly recommend it. He makes great points, most of which are common sense, but so many people do not have it these days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:41pm
I would have to argue with you about the numbers for O'Reilly, he has had the same number of viewers for a couple of years now about 2 million. In ratings terms those are poor viewer numbers and his show would be canceled if it was on Network TV. Do you remember his 3 specials that were aired on the Regular Fox network channel? They were 3 of the lowest rated shows of all time, it just shows that BOR has a Hard core audience and that his appeal is limited to those people.

Donahue wasn't really given a chance, and his show was scuttled by the corporate owners of MSNBC, even though his show was the top rated show on MSNBC. MSNBC and CNN have decided to become FOX like and it hasn't worked for them as Fox already has the right wing audience and most Liberals who watched the other stations have been turned off by the pandering to the right.

No matter who it is on TV, right or Left they are going to have their core audience and that's who they are going to appeal to, remember when you could turn on CNN and get the News? Now it's nothing but Talking Heads 24/7. Basically we're reduced to reading a ticker for news.I get most of my news from the internet, what about you?

I will agree with your assessment of Connie Chung, she is awful. But only a small amount of spin from O'Reilly, that I can't agree with!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:45pm
Thanks for those kind words Dru, er I mean Lear. Your comments are always a welcome change from intelligent posts.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:53pm
Savage isn't that the guy with the $2.00 toupee? And what is his real name? It isn't Savage. He is just a loud mouth conservative wimp, he talks tough but he is a weak, little, poor excuse for a man just like bush. He is the perfect example of the kind of WIMPS that infest right wing radio, Hannity, O'reilly etc. Michael Savage, ROTFLMAO
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 8:41pm
Well after reviewing my numbers, they are not really wrong, as I stated that his ratings were more than CNN, CNBC and MSNBC combined, which they are. With regards to the major networks, it is going to be a long time before cable news will be able to compete because of the number of households that do not get cable. Also, many people will still watch the network news because of the local coverage, which the cable channels could never handle.

Of course each person is going to have their hard-core viewers, which is what the networks are counting on, but with regards to Bill O'Reilly and Fox News, the viewers are close to a 50/50 split between conservatives and liberals, which is a good sign to me.

With regards to my news gathering methods, I read the NYT, the WSJ and will scan the internet as well so I have a balanced view of the news. I will also watch the news shows at night to see what gaps, if any can be filled in.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 8:46pm
Who are some of the Liberal juggernaut's???

Have you ever taken a good look at the NYT Best Seller list?

When it comes to books on politics or political views, conservate books outsell liberal books by a large margin. The people you chastize, such as O'Reilly, Hannity, Savage, are all best sellers on the NYT best seller list. Who was the last liberal to have a best seller?

Al Gore? His didnt even rank in the top 3000 on Amazon.com. Pretty sad statement about someone who was almost elected President of The United States.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 8:52pm
Where did you get the 50/50 numbers for O'Reilly? I really find those numbers hard to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were "Freeped", meaning that people claimed to be Liberals when in fact they are conservatives. A more believable ratio would be 90/10 for conservatives, but I'll wait and see your source.

Your right about cable news not being able to garner the numbers that Network outlets get, here's something to consider, Fox News is available to more households than MSNBC so I think that that has to be factored into any conclusions.As I said before Liberals are upset with the direction of CNN and Msnbc, and have been tuning out all to the advantage of Fox.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 9:02pm
In answer to your question, Michael Moore. Lets remember how the numbers are tabulated, it's been proven that conservatives buy their own books in lots of thousands and then return them once the nubmbers have been posted as sales. The sales numbers are in a lot of cases rigged because of the return policy of the publisher. Sorry but that refutes your asumption that these books are actually best sellers.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:28am
Proven that conservatives buy books and return them?
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:41am
Please tell us Mohadib, where is that proof? Is this something that the DNC dreamed up? I'm really at a loss to figure out how this proof might exist. I consider myself a conservative although I'm a member of NEA, a very left wing teachers organization that encouages me to support left wing candidates and causes. I buy lots of books, but I've never returned one and not all the books I buy are best sellers.