Freedom of speech and biting the hand...

iVillage Member
Freedom of speech and biting the hand...
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:34pm
that feeds you. Much has been said about the Dixie Chicks' lead singer's remarks at a recent concert. I have no problem with her stating her opinion but she should be prepared to accept the consequences of such behavior. I threw away my only Dixie Chicks CD and I'll never buy another and I'll change the radio station whenever their songs come on the radio, but to be honest, I haven't heard a station play anything by them since the unfortunate remark. If the country music audience chooses to support them that's fine but My personal choice is not to listen to their music any more, just as I have chosen not to buy anything French any more. I hope I have the "right" not to support those who I consider enemies of our great republic.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:37pm
What I find amusing, is the audience she was trying to connect with. Now, a Hip/Hop or Metal artist probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the severe backlash the chicks got. But Country music, you're in Bush country there.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:42pm
Tch, the boycott was instigated by radio stations owned by Clear Communications ("clarity comm?"), and corportation with close Bush ties.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:42pm
http://www.thespeciousreport.com/2003_dixiechicks.html

For those might by confused, this is NOT really from Natalie Maines and it is meant to be satire/sarcasm.

Leah

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:35pm
I've never heard of that group. Liberals are a pathetic bunch. They try to make everything they disagree with a conspiracy. I'm not listening to the 'Chicks' because I choose not to, not because of one of your "vast right wing conspiracy theories. Hillary's BS was a crock too as we all know!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:43pm
I must admit that first I was a bit confused. Like "Oh my, what does she write? It can't be true!" After some lines I understood.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:29pm
---

I've never heard of that group. Liberals are a pathetic bunch. They try to make everything they disagree with a conspiracy. I'm not listening to the 'Chicks' because I choose not to, not because of one of your "vast right wing conspiracy theories. Hillary's BS was a crock too as we all know!

---

Seems to me, you're so hellbent on finger pointing and label making, you missed the entire point of the post you're replying to:

The stations are boycotting because of the vast support the President gets from the country music industry. It's hardly a conspiracy or even a theory, the chicks pissed these stations off with their anti-bush remarks and they're not playing them.