Just what people predicted!

iVillage Member
Just what people predicted!
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:39pm
Now that bush has opened the door to a nation attacking another nation under the guise of pre-emptive action, he is warning other nations not to do what he is doing. Kind of like "Do as I say, Not as I do".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By Associated Press

The Bush administration said Friday that India must not use the U.S.-led pre-emptive war against Iraq as a pretext for an attack on Pakistan.

"Any attempts to draw parallels between the Iraq and Kashmir situations are wrong and are overwhelmed by the differences between them," said State Department spokeswoman Joanne Prokopowicz.

She was responding Thursday to a comment Thursday by India's Foreign Minister Yashwant Sinha that India would be justified in taking pre-emptive action across the Pakistan border.

"We derive some satisfaction because I think all those people in the international community must realize that India has a much better case to go for pre-emptive action against Pakistan than the U.S. has in Iraq," Sinha said. ---

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 2:53pm
Is there a yawn emoticon?
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 4:21pm
Thanks for that insightful reply. Just another issue that you seem unable or unwilling to express an opinion.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 4:47pm
Try not to get too upset about my indifference to your opinion, it'll be alright.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:13pm
In a related story:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/stories/2003040804981100.htm

ISLAMABAD APRIL 7. In what is seen as a tit-for-tat response, Pakistan today asserted that it was India which was a `fit case for pre-emptive strikes', like the ones initiated against Iraq by the U.S.-UK coalition.

The rhetorical statement came from the Pakistan Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, on Monday on the sidelines of a seminar on "New World information order — challenges and opportunities for Pakistan".

Mr. Ahmed was responding to a question on statements attributed to the External Affairs Minister, Yashwant Sinha, that India reserved the right to strike against Pakistan, borrowing the U.S. doctrine.

The war of words between India and Pakistan, which began ever since Mr. Sinha made the comments four days ago, was presumed to be closed after the U.S. State Department issued a statement that there could be no comparison between Iraq and Pakistan.

However, it appears that Islamabad is worked up over Mr. Sinha's statement that Pakistan was a "fit case for attack by the U.S.''.

...more...

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 3:03am
you are right... this proves Bush's double standards. And the response this post has recieved on this board shows how much US public is concerned about international affairs. Hence another reason for people on that side of the globe to hate US more.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:58pm
But as politcalbry (sp)? has said in regards to the documentation of the links between Osama Bin Laden and SH and the Sept 11 attack, this was wasn't pre-emptive since the US was striked at first...It's been in the news this whole last week too about the evidence of these documents supporting the connection between the two!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 3:28pm
Questionable documents that miraculously survived in perfect condition a bombing attack that destroyed the headquarters. How come they weren't found when the original search was done as it was said that they were laying out in plain sight. In light of the other false finds we have been told about I would be highly skeptical about these papers.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 4:59pm
And you have every right to be skeptical but while there is no definitive answer yet in whether they are false or not, although some are indeed proven to be accurate and unfalsified, you can't say the war is pre-emtive unless factually proven just as your point with these documents, it goes both ways...I fear that is the biggest problem with the liberals or people who hate the reasoning for this war, they tend to make points to better suit there arguement but in the same manner are actually helping prove the opposites side also!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 5:51pm
Let me remind you that the reason we were given to justify this war was that Saddam posed an "Immediate" threat to the USA because of his WMD. Well since saddam folded like a cheap tent it's obvious he wasn't a Threat to us or his neighbors, and to update the search for WMD's it's been reported that they have searched 95% of the sites that the bush administration claimed to hold WMD and they haven't found anything.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 6:53pm
Well there is a lot more that goes along with that other then, they said it was here now it's not...that Damn USA!! C'mon now there have been setbacks but they are being dealt with through all possibilities...I mean what's a man to do when even if there were hundreds found (certain people) who despise his tactics would accuse him of planting them there himself...this is a process and well if you don't have patience then it looks like those are the people who will be complaining and whinning themsleves to death! I am happy that I am not one of those:) I'd rather let the process continue and wait before jumping to conclusions or accusing my government of things that don't have concluding evidence to say otherwise!

Pages