About the Dixie Chicks et al...

iVillage Member
About the Dixie Chicks et al...
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 1:30pm
The morning CNN had a short report on the impact of anti-war comments by those in the media. The Dixie Chicks were mentioned as well as some others that I don't remember now. The conclusion was that the impact on the careers of those speaking out against the war ranged from none to significant depending upon the audience the entertainer usually aimed for. Anti-war comments by a Country Western singer was a big deal while similar comments to other groups were unnoticed or accepted.

It's no wonder I had never heard of the Dixie Chicks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:04am
No one would expect a brilliant person like you to listen to country music. Only us ignorant, southern country bumpkins listen to CW. I imagine you like heavy metal or anything else by bands who are whacked out on hard drugs.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 8:44am
---

No one would expect a brilliant person like you to listen to country music. Only us ignorant, southern country bumpkins listen to CW. I imagine you like heavy metal or anything else by bands who are whacked out on hard drugs.

---

That's some flat sarcasm, yeah, no country musician would do drugs, oh no way!

*rolls eyes*

Now, what eddie vedder did was far 'worse' than any statement against bush, don't hear about people wanting to Boycott pearl jam, hehehe.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:21am
Take a nap! or go find your glasses!

I didn't read any insults to the intelligence of country mucis listeners in the post. What is did get was that county music listeners expect their musicians to keep their mouths shut about anything but women, trucks, dead dogs, and booze. Meanwhile, listeners of other music forms really don't care what the political views of their performers are and aren't likely to call for boycotts even if they have different opinions.

Leah

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 2:32pm
The Dixie Chicks retracted their statement, BTW, said it was a joke and that people took it way too seriously. The retraction didn't get any press, small wonder.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:02pm
It became a joke after it started costing them money. It's kind of funny that when someone says something stupid, it was a joke.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:41am
did they really feel it in the pocket book? At least they admitted being silly, regardless of why. Some people are so stubborn that they can't ever back down.