Where's our money going??

iVillage Member
Where's our money going??
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 12:05pm
As I read about all the aides we send out to help others, the amount going out to Israel really confuses me. 1 Billion and much more to go?? What exactly is our relationship with Israel, and why isn't their military helping us in our quest for democracy and freedom?

I was reading the Guardian and came across this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,926276,00.html

"While we deal with Saddam Hussein, we must not forget the burdens that the conflict with Iraq has placed on our Israeli friends. I am very pleased that President Bush has included in his supplemental budget request that just went to Congress $1b in foreign military financing funds to help Israel strengthen its military and civil defenses.

And that's just for starters. The president is also asking for $9bn in loan guarantees. These loan guarantees will help Israel deal with the economic costs arising from the conflict, and will help Israel to implement the critical economic and budgetary reforms it needs to get its economy back on track. And I am hopeful that Congress, with your encouragement will act quickly on this request. "

Someone please shed some light on this!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 1:43pm
no one knows ?? Well, at least I'm not the only one who's confused!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 1:47pm
We've sent much much more to Israel and it's hardly surprising. They're the left hand of our right hand in terms of military might in the region.

And if we didn't support them, they would have been ground to dust ages ago.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 2:05pm
But if they're our military left hand, why aren't they engaged in the war now? I just feel that if we're helping them so much with our money and sacrificing OUR men out there, shouldn't they at least help us out too? It is to achieve a balance in their region in the end, isn't it?
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 2:29pm
I don't think they would have been reduced to dust, I think they would have been forced to reduce their enemies to dust. US support for Israel has shifted the balance of power so much in their favor and reduced the temptation of their enemies from attacking. Without US support they'd just be fighting more, but probably not losing. Which is better?
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:35pm
With regards to Israel not assisting us in Iraq, this is being done at the request of the administration, much as Bush 41 did in the first Gulf War. If Israel joined in with us, then the entire Arab world would be up in arms, feeling that Israel (with the help of the US) was trying to take over the Middle East, which many of the countries there fear.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:12am
The only way Israel's survived is though the superior weapons technology of the United States. In the 73 war, it was weapons and a butt-ton of money.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:13am
--

If Israel joined in with us, then the entire Arab world would be up in arms, feeling that Israel (with the help of the US) was trying to take over the Middle East, which many of the countries there fear.

--

Sadly, short of an act of Allah, many Arabs will feel that way no matter what.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:36am
They have for a long time jeffrey, but many people fail to see it.