Here's a tip for the war protestors

iVillage Member
Here's a tip for the war protestors
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:29am
Why are you protesting "No War In Iraq"? In case you haven't noticed......the war is almost over.......just thought you might need to be clued in...... LS

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:33am
--

Why are you protesting "No War In Iraq"? In case you haven't noticed......the war is almost over.......just thought you might need to be clued in...... LS

--

Wow ..... You've said it ..... they're all going ..... to pack up their signs and go home..... now.....

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:43pm
Well it's about time and glad you agree...... DUH
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:09am
Many people have serious objections to this war, and if they just keep quiet, the world will think that they agree with what has happened. I think that's the idea behind these ongoing protests.

Of COURSE they are aware that the war is going on, we all know that. But that doesn't mean you just give up your ideals and change your mind and say, the war is on so oh well, I won't say anything about it. That's ridiculous.

And just because people are cheering in Baghdad today doesn't mean the situation with Iraq is "over" either. Rebuilding will take years. Plus, this war has cost us billions of dollars while our own states are in SERIOUS trouble, people are jobless and starving and without healthcare here. I think it was a waste of our dollars and a temporary distraction from our own crappy economy here at home.

There are plenty of people around the world who STILL believe the US had no RIGHT to go in and do what they did. I am one of those people.

I mean we could go in and invade Cuba right now and probably win the admiration of thousands of Cubans, but why haven't we? Because it's not our right! It's not our country!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:21am
Exactly! Thanks for saying it so rationally!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 10:57am
Well if you remember your history, we were about to invade Cuba when they posed a serious threat to the national security of the United States, or don't you remember the Cuban misile crisis, in which JFK brought the world to the brink of a nuclear war by calling Khrushchev's bluff. If the USSR did not back down, we were prepared to go into Cuba.

This is pretty much the same reasoning for the war in Iraq. The man possesses weapons of mass destruction (and unless someone provides documents to the contrary, they are there somewhere), and he has proven his willingness to use them which he did against the Iranians and against his own people. He is a modern day Hitler, which many people are starting to realize.

People do have the right to protest as long as it is done in a peaceful manner. When people start throwing rocks then these people bring a bad name to all protesters. Are you aware that in San Francisco, at the outset of the war, there was a huge protest, in which there were over 1,000 arrests? Police found to large duffle bags filled with molotov cocktails. Do you support that???

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 2:13pm
If Cuba was threatening our national security you can bet your anti-war ass that we would do whatever it takes to diffuse an endangering situation. How can you just dismiss how happy the Iraqi people are? Doesn't it make you proud that our troops helped to free an enslaved people? I feel proud to be an American and I'm glad there are people who are waving our flag today and holding up pictures of GWB in honor of helping them. It's about GD time that we get the PROPER recognition we deserve. You liberals are so misguided - :(
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 2:20pm
NO, I don't support violent protests at all! It's a contradiction to ask for peace using violent means. I think that is shameful behavior.

But I also don't support violence AGAINST protesters. It's NOT un-American to protest; in fact, it's a proud and hard-won right, we should remember.

And yes, I do remember that history. My grandfather was working in the Pentagon while the Cuban missile crisis was going on. My mother recounts the time that her family was ready to pack up and leave the D.C. area at a moment's notice. But a pre-emptive strike is DIFFERENT. We knew for sure that those nukes were there, they were a naked, spoken and aggressive threat.

Part of the resistance to us invading Iraq was that the U.S. did not provide much proof that they were this kind of overt threat. This is ground well-discussed, I won't rehash it here.

Suffice it to say that I think pre-emptive measures are wrong, wrong, wrong AND dangerous policy, because a country will always be able to come up with SOME excuse to go after another country. Do WE (the U.S.) not constitute a "potential" threat to every other country? We've got nukes. We've got a massive and highly trained fighting force. We've shown that we can take over a smaller country in three weeks, against the will of the U.N. I would be surprised if our "pre-emptive" measures don't inspire dozens of other countries to beef up their own security and arsenals against US.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 4:42pm
It happened once before, or do you not remember December 7, 1941?

The Japanese launched a pre-emptive strike on the US, to no avail. Now, Japan is an important ally of the United States. Perhaps after all is said and done the United States and the new government in Iraq will have a stronger relationship for it.

I do not condone acts of violence either, and I have no problem with people protesting or speaking their minds in a civil and law abiding protest. I agree that people who protest with violence put a black eye on those who do so in a correct manner.

Regarding the proof about the weapons in Iraq, it did not fall to the US to prove that they had them, according to several of the UN resolutions passed on the subject, it was up to Iraq to prove that they had dissarmed and destroyed them, which they failed to do for 12 years. Them destroying their Al-Samoud missiled in Feb / Mar of this year was only to delay any military action against them further, so they could play more games with the UN.

The only way that the UN weapons inspections would have worked, would have been to have them accompanied by a military force, which Saddam Hussein would never have agreed to.

In response to your statement that we have nuclear weapons, there are several countries in Europe that are quite thankful that we have them, or they would have fallen under the USSR, not to mention the United States. I know that the United States is the only country to have used them in an act of agression, which would make any administration think before using them again.

Everyone thought that Ronald Reagan was a trigger happy cowboy who wanted to nuke the world, and he basically brought an end to the USSR without firing one shot. Sometimes a strong stance with military support is all you need, but people like Saddam Hussein do not understand such things. His propoganda minister is still telling people that they are going to win the war.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:23pm
Here's a clue for the Shrub and his gang. Now, please concentrate on the economy and helping the unemployed in this country. It's the economy stupid! Can we please impeach this fool for being too stupid to be President!@
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:36pm
They impeached Clinton, what good did it do? He stayed!!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pages