What is a Green?

iVillage Member
What is a Green?
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:03pm
I don't know if this will work, but here's my idea.

I would like to hear in this thread from people who consider themselves Greens. Tell WHY you identify with that party, what you see as its ideals, main goals, etc. and why it is best for America (if you think that it is). The point is to back up from all the finger-pointing, name-calling that isn't all that productive and get some real communication "across party lines. I will post another one in a minute for Independents. Feel free to start another thread.

What I hope to see:

* A clearer picture of why Greens think their party is best

* Where the Green Party wants this country to head

* Stances on specific issues AND

* Suggested solutions to long-standing problems and/or national debates

What I DON'T WANT in this thread (work with me, here):

* Greens saying why they HATE Democrats, Republicans, etc. That's all made clear elsewhere.

* People PRETENDING to be Greens and saying negative/stupid things -- that's just immature and we should ignore these posts if they appear.

* People from other parties RESPONDING to these posts. This is supposed to be a thread for the Greens to say WHO they are without getting jeered at. You will get your chance in another thread!

Anyway, we need more open dialogue because the other hateful stuff is for the schoolyard. Let it go.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 6:49pm
I've been a member of Green Parties - and a candidate for office - in several countries since 1983.

The best summary of the Green philosophy that I have come across is the "four pillars" of the German Greens: Ecology, Non-violence, Social Justice, and Grassroots Democracy.

In terms of current debates, we are against drilling in ANWR (ecology), against the war in Iraq (non-violence), against Bush's tax cut for the rich (social justice), and against an electoral system which is weighted against anyone who is not a Democrat or a Republican (grassroots democracy).

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 5:09am
Hi

I know i might not be strictly answering the question but in response to the argument about the electoral system. In Scotland we have a system of PR for elections to the Scottish parliament and in the past 2003 election the Green party increased their share of MSP's (members of scottsih parliament)from one to seven which is a massive increase and a massive backlash against the established parties. The green party here is also for an independent Scotland and for all the things that come under the "four pillars" as put forward by the German Green party.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 5:34am
Wow. I always kinda wondered what the Green Party is. I think I now know more about the GP than the Republican Party and the Democrat Party combined. Sadly, the government classes I had in HS and college were several years ago and I didn't care enough to pay attention. Is there a Website I can go to?

Thanks,

Laura

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 4:30pm

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 9:10pm
The Green party is great!!