Invitation to Mohadib

iVillage Member
Invitation to Mohadib
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:42pm
After all the bantering we have done, I am curious about your globabl POV. I would like to read a description of your world view in the context of what you think the priorities of the US government should be, what you think US foreign policy should be, etc. I already know you are "disappointed" in the Bush Administration and that you feel "let down" by conservatives in general, so you don't have to illucidate those points any further, but you have not really espoused an action plan based on you think needs to happen. I am honestly curious.

Correspondingly, I would like to ask other posters not to attack my friend as he responds, other than polite questions, perhaps. I promise not to criticise anything you say, unless it about the Yankees winning the world series.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 3:50pm
In my humble opinion, I believe that we have to re-assess our position concerning the Israeli/Paletinian issue. I believe our blind support of Israel in everything they do has been a determining factor in how the Arab world in particular views our intentions. Until there is a resolution to this issue I feel that our motives will always be questioned as far as any other actions we take. There must be a Palestinian State and we must be seen by the world especially the Arab world as being the Driving force behind the creation of this State.Midhusband I believe this is the most IMPORTANT issue that our government needs to address. Everything else is affected by this, we will never be successful in our war on terror unless we can win the hearts and minds of the Arab world. Right now we are seen as a Warehouse for Israel, where they get a never ending supply of Money, Weapons and Political Support. Unless we change and show the world that we can be neutral or better yet be on the side of the oppressed I fear we will be facing terroism for decades.

I think people need to realize something, Many Americans were outraged at the thought of France Vetoing the U.N. Resolution concerning Iraq, but how do they think the Arabs felt when the U.S.A. has Vetoed every resolution concerning Israel.

I'll let you respond with your thoughts before I express my opinion on the U.N., Our role in the big Picture, Crop Circles, and whether or not Elvis is alive. :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 3:54pm
Just so you know, Elvis IS alive!!!! Look at my child's name!!!!! LOL!!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:30pm
Do you think the US is in an either or situation with Israel/Palestinians? To some, this might be an over simplification, but frankly, I am not confident the American public can digest this issue in any other context than black and white. Can the Palestinian people be served by a US policy that Israel can live with? Is there a win/win available. Does Israel present a front of uncompromising stubborness, or can they offer some bona-fide concessions that the Palestinians will accept and take as a motion toward good faith resolution?

Can a Palestinian State be created that will co-exist with Israel? Should we care that much about Israel? What concessions can the Palestinians give that Israel would accept?

I agree with you, having lived in the Middle East for a number of years as a kid I grew to be fascinated by Arab culture. Beyond that I haven't a personal interest in what happens there beyond my general concern that the human race move forward from the barabaric past and better develop civilization. My father was in Israel at the time of UN Res 242 with the British foreign service and my views of the Israelis is based on observations he made to me; self righteous, combative, obdurate, and arrogant, for what that's worth. Ofcourse, to him they were a bunch of terrorists.

Thanks for your comments. I am eager to hear more.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:32pm
Any signs of a future Star in Waiting? If so you'll need a good agent. Did I mention that I'm available? LOL
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:38pm
Well, she's only 1 and LOVES to sing, so who knows? I'll keep you in my files, LOL!!!!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 5:20pm
I'm sure with your first hand knowledge of the Israeli/Palestinian issue you could easily educate me to what are some of the underlying issues that most Americans aren't aware of. As far as what can either side do to advance the settlement of this dispute, I think first and foremost the U.S.A. has to cease the Blank check support of Israel. We must show that we can be neutral in this issue, something that will not be easy to do. We must demand the establishment of a Palestinian State and introduce a Timetable that is acceptable to the Palestinians. Next Sharon has to go, If the Israeli's want the world to believe that they are sincere then They must back away from Sharon and his followers. The creation of new settlements must cease, I believe this is the fuse that fires the Arab dissent. I stay in touch with someone who lives in Israel and she told me that it's not the long time Israeli's that are so anti-palestinian, that it's the immigrants who establish these settlements that make up the hard core Right in Israel. All settlements must be removed from Palestinian territory. Also the Palestinians need self rule something that should happen with the establishment of a Palestinian State.

Now on the Palestinian side Arafat has to go. He like Sharon is a link to the past and the hatred that is associated with that past. I know it's easy for an outsider to say but they have to bury the old animosity and in order to do that they need fresh faces, people who have a new perspective. They also need to establish a Security force that is capable of protecting the Palestinians and keeping Groups like Hamas from spreading their terror. I feel that the establishment of a Palestinian State will take some of the fuel out of the arguments for Hating Israel.

This is by no means a simple solution but I believe it's time especially for the U.S.A. to pressure Israel to get it done. It's just a matter of time until the whole area erupts.If we are going to portray ourselves as the bringers of democracy to the world then we would be well served to start with the Palestinian situation.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 4:59pm
I think you're exactly right. Letting go of the past is a vital step, and as long as they can't there will be this feud aspect that takes on a life of its' own. I think it's time for the Israeli's to establish good will with their Arab neighbors. The mentality of 1948 of "wipe them off the face of the earth" is gone from moderate Arab states. The Israelis can afford to be magnanimous and maybe earn some good equity in the process.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 5:05am
I think the mentality of the entire Muslim world toward Israel is "wipe them off the face of the earth". Just my opinion.