Let's change the tune a bit here...

iVillage Member
Let's change the tune a bit here...
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 8:25pm
Anyone else think Martha Burke should shut her mouth?? I mean really...Get a clue. She is trying her best to stir up trouble that no one cares about. I really think getting into a golf club is really far down the list of women's issues.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 11:53pm
Sometimes one's perspective matters.

Women business owners and CEO's know the unfair business advantage that this kind of membership offers their male competitors.

Make no mistake, when you've worked 24/7 for many years to become the owner & CEO of a company, you are responsible for the salaries of your employees and the mortgage payment on your building and you are competing very hard for business. You aren't looking for preferences, just a level playing field.

Martha Burke is right.

C

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 10:50am
<>

Who's perspective? Martha Burke's?? What about the 300 members at Augusta? It is THEIR club and they maintain it. Martha Burke just wants her name in the media nothing more. She is trying to one up men. HAHAHA She won't succeed at Augusta. They will allow women one day. Just not on her time table.

<>

Guess what? There are 100's of clubs in Georgia they can join those. Guess what else? Women can play golf at Augusta they just can't be members. SO that argument is squashed.

<>

Once again what does that have to do with a PRIVATE club? Martha Burke is using ridiculous tactics, and throwing temper tantrums because she can't join a club. It is really tiring and I wish she just shut up.

<>

She is anything But that.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 3:10pm
You are correct. They used to say that it didn't matter that women were excluded from Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs. That was wrong too. Wherever business decisions and contacts are made, women have a right to be.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 3:17pm
I'm not surprised that a woman who chooses a screen name as with "mommy" in it would have trouble understanding the concerns of business women HA HA HA, so don't join the club. I applaud Martha Burke's efforts in leveling the field for women with broader horizons.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 4:32pm
In my opinion, Martha Burke's protest is silly! She's only trying to cause trouble. Why doesn't she protesting something important?
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 4:57pm
Maybe because to her,it IS important.

Ashley,you have your own soapbox,I'm sure you don't like it when people disagree with you.

Annie
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 7:33pm
<>

Can you explain this. Your grammar here is off quite a bit. As for my screen name...What is your point?

<>

I would not want to join the club. Why should I? There are thousands of golf clubs out there. If they don't want women in there club why should I care? She and other women can play golf there. So once again her argument is stupid. I like many women chose to stay home and take care of my children. I left a career and a nice salary to care for my children. So does that make me out of touch?? I don't think so. I think it makes me a smart woman as well as a smart mother.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 7:56pm
Sorry I was unclear, but I suspect you got the message. My suspicion, now confirmed, was that I was talking to a woman who believes that child rearing is a "smart" thing to do. I don't, but I support your right to make that choice. Many women even in this century go to college to find a husband and make a career out of catering to him and the offspring.

This club is excluding women from full participation. Business decisions and contacts are made behind the doors that are closed to women. That apparently is insignificant to you, but it could have a negative impact on the income and reputation and professional growth of the excluded individuals. Would you want that to happen to the breadwinner in your home? Understand now? `

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-20-2003 - 6:45pm
You do realize that the whole thing started with a simple, private letter from Burke to the club management suggesting (not demanding) that it was time they had a woman member. "Hootie" then went bananas and made a big "over my dead body" public thing out of it. As far as I'm concerned he can have his little "Wimmin Haters He-man Club House" just like Spanky, Alfalfa and Buckwheat.

Burke is right - any organization that solicits public support needs to comply with the laws regarding non-discrimination. Hootie's cut off his nose to spite his face by turning down endorsements just to keep females out. It will be interesting to see how far he'll go before the club membership tosses him out in disgust - it's a new world, Hootie, and the old boys network is dying off as they age.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:02am
Very well said. I applaud your statement.

Pages