What is going on with N.O.W. ???

iVillage Member
What is going on with N.O.W. ???
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:22pm
I was just watching the evening news regarding the Laci Peterson murder (extremely sad story), and apparently a President of one of the localized chapters of N.O.W. does not feel that Scott Peterson should be charged with the murder of his unborn son.... What is that all about?

This woman, (sorry I cannot remember her name) could not see the difference between what Scott Peterson is being accused of, and what happens during an abortion. Is it me?

There is a glaring difference. In an abortion, the woman who is carrying the baby makes a concious decision to abort the baby. In the case of Laci Peterson, she had absolutely no say in the fate of her child. Whoever murdered her, made the decision for her.

I dont see how the difference is not clear. Can someone help me out here? I really am at a loss on this one.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 11:24am
I didn't hear the news article, but I suspect the member of NOW that is being quoted has a belief similar to mine. If a fetus is "unborn" then it is not yet a person and should not be regarded as such. Following that, and assuming the fetus was indeed unborn, there was one murder, not two. IF the child had been born alive and then killed, murder charges would have been appropriate.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 12:36pm
Wrong...She was pregnant with a child that could have been born at this stage and lived outside the womb. He MURDERED her and his child. He knew that when he killed her it would also kill their baby. Therefore he commited two murders.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 4:59pm
NOW can't afford to allow any interpretation of the ambiguous little creature residing inside the body of a woman being classified as a living human being with rights. This is what happens when a political organization devotes a large amount of its' time and resources to a single purpose....myopia! There is no baby, there is no life, there is only the woman whose rights exist above all others.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 5:04pm
The child "could have been born" but according to news reports was not. No murder there!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 5:08pm
Of course. It is the woman who is living that has rights!

BTW was this woman speaking for the national organization, for the local with which she is adffiliated, or for herself (as in a personal opinion)? I have not seen the article.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 5:16pm
Maybe you should read the actual charges. It says he "did inflict injury on Lacy Denise Peterson resuling in the termination of her pregnancy". In CA, that is illegal. And I believe rightly so.

There is a copy of the charges at smokinggun.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 5:27pm
Correct! Scott Peterson should be charged with 2 counts of murder.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 5:44pm
Thank you for the clarification. I am aware that CA gives the rights of personhood to fetuses at least under certain circumstances. I believe that is a wrongheaded notion, but I recognize it is the law.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 9:04pm
Let me spell this out for you. When I stated the child could have been born and lived...I meant that if she had gone into labor at this stage of her pregnancy the baby could have lived. As for the murder YES HE DID COMMIT MURDER. He KNEW that if he killed Laci that he would be killing his child. He chose to kill BOTH of them not one of them.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 9:56pm
Breaks in the case

Sunday: The body of a full-term male baby is found on the bay shoreline in Richmond.

Monday: The skeletal remains of a woman's torso are found on the rocks along the shore at Point Isabel in Richmond, about a mile southeast of where the baby's remains washed up.

Tuesday: Forensic scientists at the state Department of Justice DNA laboratory in Richmond begin tests on the remains.

Thursday: Modesto police obtain a warrant for Scott Peterson's arrest.

Friday: Scott Peterson arrested in San Diego County on suspicion of murdering Laci Peterson and the couple's unborn son. Scientists identify the remains found on the Richmond shoreline as those of Laci and the baby.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/04/19/MN173802.DTL

Djie

Pages