Any theories on how Hussein got millions

iVillage Member
Any theories on how Hussein got millions
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 2:21pm
I was under the impression there was very little economic activity outside the oil-for-food program and limited oil sales. So, either he had secret oil deals, or he sold the food in secret deals for cash (which would explain a lot), or both. And, if he was willing to leave behind nearly a billion dollars US cash, how much money does he have hidden away? And if he has this much money behind walls in Iraq, how much more will he have in bank accounts around the world? If it is anything NEAR to what we have found so far, I imagine he will be personally footing a considerable portion of the war. Which leads to my next question, should Hussein's ill-gotten gains go toward paying off the cost of the war, or go to reconstruction or should it go towards both? I guess I fall in the camp that the money should go entirely to reconstruction.

Leah

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 4:27pm
Wow this is a first....I agree with you Leah. Although I do believe that some of the funds should go to the cost of this war. We have footed the bill for their liberation and I think the US should get some funds to recoop the cost. Maybe a percentage of it. Most should definately go to reconstruction.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 12:55am
This money was probably meant as aid for iraqi people and was probably in iraq well before the first gulf war. It should go for re-construction of iraq and rebuilding it's economy.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 3:54pm
The oil for food program was put in place by the UN so Iraq could sell their oil to accumulate money with which they were "supposed" to buy food, medicines, and improve the infrastructure of their country. As we see, the improvements came in the means of 36 new palaces for Saddam Hussein and his family while the people of his country continued to starve and have inadequate medical treatment.