Title IX working BOTH ways

iVillage Member
Title IX working BOTH ways
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 4:38pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50387-2003Apr28.html

Note the caption, which says that during the last academic year, 4,000 BOYS played on GIRLS teams. It was not clear from the article if that figure included BOTH public and private schools.

Leah

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 10:18am
Interesting article.

I guess I am not sure how I feel about title IX, as I do not know all that much about it.

While I was in college however, I did see the negative effects that title IX did have on the sports programs at my University. The amount of scholarships had to be reduced in order to be able to offer more scholarships to the women's programs such as basketball and softball.

While I had no problems with the softball, soccer, gymnastics, volleyball and swim teams getting a little more money (they were all highly ranked within our conference, and usually did well on a national level too) I had a problem with the women's basketball team making a stink about the money they got.

My problem with them at the time was that they never drew a crowd in our arena. Their average attendence was 40 (non-paying), while the mens team averaged 8,500. who paid for their tickets. The volleyball team and gymnastics team would draw at least 2,000 for an average event (paying of course).

The men's team had at least 2 national and 14 regionally televised games during each season, and made it to the NIT or NCAA tournament usually every year, thereby bringing in more money for the school and the basketball program.

As a result of title IX, the money that the men's program brought in had to be split with the women's program. The coach of the women's team actually raised a stink in the local papers because her sallary was much lower than that of the men's head coach. She failed to understand that in her three year stint as the head coach, the women compiled a combined record of 19-71 (or thereabouts), while the men, over the same period were 70-26, making it to the sweet sixteen once and the semi-finals of the NIT the previous year.

At the time, I was a bit perturbed with title IX, but did not know enough about it. Now that I know a little more about it (albeit not enough) I think that the merits of the rule are good, but it also does as much harm as it does good.