ABORTION: from the left, right, & muddle

iVillage Member
ABORTION: from the left, right, & muddle
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 7:01pm
(Fox News reports that the Notional Organization For Women is objecting to the double murder charge. What's next? Will N.O.W. find a "dream team" to defend Mr. Peterson? And perhaps this whole episode explains why we never saw Vera during the entire 10-year-run of "Cheers," one of which is what Peterson will probably get if found guilty.)

I don't know. What ever happened to respect for life? Call me old-fascist.

THE ABORTION DEBATE:

Growing up, we've all heard from our mothers that giving birth is like passing a bowling ball. I wonder if that's why conservatives want to keep abortions in the back alleys and gutters.

As for liberals, why do they support abortion rights but oppose term limits? (On a practical level, what surer way to stave off the rival candidacy of a pro-lifer than to terminate him after the second trimester?)

The hubris on both sides is so thick you could cut it with a curette. But use an izmail. Or is that ismayil? (Well, just don't call me one, for those familiar with Melville's "Moby Dick.")

So where does everyone stand on this issue? Are you with NARAIL or Operation Miscue?

Are you pro-life or prime choice?

Do you support a woman's right to chew?

Do you support fecal tissue and Dem cell research?

Do you hew to the mantra "Not the church, not the state, women will decide they're fat"?

Escatological (sic) references aside, if life doesn't begin at conception (the beginning) then when does it begin, at the end?

There are some who argue that the right to have an abortion is ABSOLUTE. That abortion cannot be restricted in ANY trimester, whether it be the first, third, or seventy-third. That if a woman chooses to have an abortion in her seventy-third trimester, that's her right. Even if she has to drag her child out of college to do it.

And there are some who would make exemptions in the case of the threat to the life of the mother. Well, any kid who threatens his mother shouldn't be aborted, he should be locked up for life.

What we need is a balance. We need to weigh the rights of the mother against the sins of the father ... before they're visited on the children. But then that raises the question: How do we affirm the mother's privacy rights without denying the father's visitation rights? Perhaps a compromise. After the kid is aborted, the father can have it on alternating weekends. Or, maybe it can stay with the grandparents, especially if they're deceased, until the custody battle is resolved amicably.

Or we might want to amend the Constitution to effect this balance, say, overturn Rove v Wade, support the ERA, and lower the pitcher's mound.

It might work.

http://www.geocities.com/abhor_shun/

registered mugwump

Edited 6/1/2003 1:07:21 AM ET by folderol_express

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:16pm
Why all the noise. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 9:35am
Exactly!! Same thing for avoiding theft: If you dont want to be robbed, don't own anything! If you don't want to be murdered, don't live! If you don't want to hear, don't listen! If you don't want to be aborted, don't be conceived!!!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 1:38pm
You read it wrong. The poster said nothing about "being aborted" but rather "having an abortion". That is certainly within one's control and hopefully will remain so.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 1:57pm
What ever happened to N.O.W. They used to care about women's rights, but now they do nothing but campaign for the Democratic party using scare tactics. What a shame.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:31pm
Didn't read it wrong...I just simply don't accept the position that abortion is only the business of the woman choosing to have one. It has been conveniently dismissed that there is a human being involved who can't articulate his or her position on the matter. At this point most pro-abortion people cover their ears and yell, "I'm not listening, I'm not listening!"
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 4:47pm
"I'm not listening" may be a proper response when the anti-choice crowd start talking about clumps of tissue being "people". It is just silly!

And I'm sorry you didn't read it wrong. That might have explained the incongruity in your original response.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 4:51pm
Actually it is not NOW that has changed, it is the Republican Party. At one time the Republican's even endorsed the ratification of the ERA, an issue close to the hearts of NOW's founders. Since then the conservative right wing has taken over the party and it has lost its balance. That's the real shame!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 4:54pm
"Clumps of tissue"???? How distasteful...there are some good points made on each side of this issue but calling a fetus or anything that is if allowed to proceed in it's growth will develop into a beautiful baby is rather dispicable in my opinion, or as you put it RIDICULOUS. UGH!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:44am
agree.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 9:04am
My 10 year old clump of tissue, who I just dropped off at school, has made the honor roll again, loves to play baseball, is beginning music lessons, has been recognized throughout his life by teachers as gifted, peaceful, creative, and just plain delightful. Just think about what the world he touches would be like if I or his mother had chosen that it was more convenient for her to consider him, "just a clump of tissue?"

Pages