Any thoughts on the current list of DEMS running? Let's see, there is:

John Kerry, Mass.

Richard Gephardt, Mo.

Howard Dean, Vt.

John Edwards, N.C.

Joseph Lieberman, Ct.

Bob Graham, Fl.

Dennis Kucinich, Oh.

Opps, almost forgot Carol Moseley Braun of Ill. and Al Sharpton of NY (I'll bet the other 7 REALLY want these two taking THEIR votes away!)

If I were to put on a DEM hat, however hard that could be, I would go with Joe Lieberman. Since he was once a conservative and changed parties just to run for VP, I think I'd go with him.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 4:54pm
Any of the above would be my choice over Bush! Well, Sharpton Vs. Bush....that might just be enough to cause me not to vote!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:43am
That's easy - Senator John Edwards of N.C. Have you checked him out? I suggest that you do -- his background, record, and just in general, are impressive.

BTW, as a Republican (which you made clear in your post), I bet you're just thrilled with the state of OUR ECONOMY. As for me and mine, we'd prefer a President that put his country, that is- the U.S.A., first. Oh, and I bet you're really proud of the HUGE deficit that the President has run up.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:47am
Here, here ! Have you looked at Senator John Edwards from N.C.? I'm looking forward to voting for him (and hopefully this time my vote will count.)
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:48am
I agree.

Out of all of them, at least Joe Lieberman has been true to his word and stays the course on what he believes in. Even though I am a conservative, I tend to lean more in his direction anyways, than the ultra-right wingers. In a way, it is a shame that he is not 20 years younger, as Government needs a new group of leaders who are more moderate, and he is a good one to style after.

The others change with the wind.

Gephardt will not win because people geniunly do not like him, he is too liberal. This is the reason that Daschel pulled out. He had no support.

Howard Dean wont win because nobody knows who he is, and took a bad stance on the war in Iraq which was popular among the US. He may win the NH primary, but the current polls have him trailing. If he loses there, in his own backyard he should just withdraw.

Dennis Kucinich: Dont know enough to comment. I havnt even seen him being covered in the news. To me that is not a good sign, so his chances are probably not too good.

Bob Graham: His late start and bad health will keep hurt his chances of winning the nomination. He was a popular Governor in Florida, but the people who I spoke with in Florida (most of whom are Democrats) seem to think he should be looking to retire from politics.

John Edwards: He cannot decide weather or not he wants to be a moderate democrat or an ultra left wing democrat, so he better make up his mind soon, or else his political base will not congeal.

Carol Mosely Braun: Again, I do not know enough to comment

Al Sharpton: The only votes he will garner are those from the inner city African Americans, as everyone else remembers that he is a felon, who concocted the entire Tawana Brawly scandal on his own, to make a name for himself. He is a joke, and should be in jail for what he did.

Lets not forget Hillary Clinton....she is the wildcard in all of this. In my mind, she is better off running in 2004, because if she waits around until 2008, she will not even be a Senator, becuase her nemesis, Rudy Giuliani will surely run against her in 2006, and should beat her quite easily. He led her in the polls by over 25% without even campaiging. Before he could even kick his campaign into high gear, he had to withdraw from the race due to his prostate cancer. That will be interesting. (Not to mention that her approval rating is dropping in New York)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:59am
That's interesting, you think Rudi will run against Hillary? I have the impression Rudy put politics on the shelf. I hope he does though, he's the only one that can beat Hillary, IMO.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:04am
I'm more concerned with cutting spending and tax cuts than I am about the economy. Given the DEMS as a general rule tend to like taxing and spending, I can only find myself voting Republican regardless of the economy.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:08am
Well in recent interviews he said that he is enjoying his life in the private sector, but would be re-entering the political forray in the future.

I think it is to take out Hillary because I think Rudy has a severe distaste for her, as does Chuck Shummer.

I personally like Rudy, because he is a moderate Republican, so he would work very well with moderate Democrats as well. This, IMO is the only way that Government will be able to work more effectively in the future.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:24am
Joe Lieberman is a republican, he's just lost.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:25am
Sharpton could debate circles around Bush.

For all his baggage, he's one of the true Democrats in the party.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:32am
Well then you just basically said that the true Democrats are a bunch of liars and cheats (which is exactly what Al Sharpton is....Tawana Brawly....being evicted from his office in the Empire State Building for failure to pay $40,000. in rent, etc, etc)....you said it not me.

With regards to the debates.....I think you are quite wrong there, but we will never know because Sharpton could not even get ellected as the Democratic nominee for Mayor of NYC. How does he expect to win the nomination on a National level???

Too many people know who he really is, so he doesnt stand a chance.

Pages