Bush posing as a military man

iVillage Member
Bush posing as a military man
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:30am
Last night a special address by the President was broadcast. (He neither said anything new nor anything especially relevant.) That I can accept. BUT TO DON AN AIR UNIFORM AND PARADE AROUND THE DECK WITH A HELMET TUCKED UNDER HIS ARM while the broadcaster (on the channel I was watching it was Tom Brokaw) commented that the President 'was with the Texas something or another during Vietnam' and 'that you will probably see the footage we've just seen again and again during the President's re-election campaign' CROSSED THE LINE OF TRUTH (even for politics.)

The facts are: 1- the President's father bought a position for his son in the Texas Air RESERVE, 2- said son (and our current President) went AWOL (that is to say, he no longer even bother to show up) for the last 18 months of his commitment to the reserve, 3- Our current President did not in any way, shape, or form see a moment's action in Vietnam (or anywhere else for that matter.) Apparently a news broadcaster on a major televsion station doesn't even glance at the facts anymore. What I saw last night was disrespectful to the men and women who ACTUALLY SERVE/HAVE SERVED our fair country. I know, I know 'all's fair in love, war, and politics,' but has the man no shame? Do we, as a nation, have no standards?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:11am
What an Excellent Post! It says it all about the disgusting attempt by bush to act like some great American Patriot when in Truth he disgraced the Uniform of his country and as you said insulted everyone who has ever served with honor.Republicans having Standards? LOL
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:22am
Well, the men and women on board the USS Abraham Lincoln didnt seem to mind the fact that President Bush landed and got out of the plane wearing a Navy issued G-suit. In fact, all of them appeared to be cheering when he stepped out of the cockpit of the plane. To them it seemed to be an honor that he flew in their plane, actually took controls of the plane for a while, they even had his name painted on the plane just for this event (I know, very Hollywood) which proves that this was an honor for these men and women.

After his speech, he stayed on deck and actually tried to meet as many of them as possible too, and many of them seemed very eager to meet their President.

I am not defending him for his AWOL (unfortunately I do not know enough about it except that he was grounded for supposed substance abuse, and was no longer allowed to fly), but I will say that his position in the Air National Guard was probably garnered by his fathers position (as many in politics either did at that time, or continue to do today), but it seems that only those who did not vote for this President, are the ones having the toughest time with the fact that he is very popular and well liked.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:23am
Well, it is better than the last administration who openly hated the military and everything it stood for.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:29am
None of this matters, Clinton lowered the bar when it comes to military experience and expectations going into the White House.

Judge the man by what he does, not what he did.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 12:11pm
"Judge the man by what he does, not what he did." - you posted. Okay.

Off the top of my head: --

1. He got the U.S.A. involved in a war. Note that he literally bombarded our airwaves until he got his way -- our country going to war. He was inconsistent as to WHY our nation should be involved in his proposed war. Terrorism, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and then to Free the Iraqi people. I still don't know why we attacked Iraq. No matter, though - we did, and now it's basically over. BTW, is he going to force us to take on the North Koreans? They could be tougher than the Iraqis.

2. Our economy. He apparently does not have a responsible interest in the state of our nation. But then, the state of our economy does not affect him personally. His family fortune, I venture to assume, is safe -- for example, so that gas prices and unemployment do not and will not affect him or his family.

After 9/11, a moderate deficit could be justified and even accepted. But this President has run up an astronomical deficit. And apparently has no qualms about continuing to do so.

3. Big business. Both the President and his father apparently are friends of Big Business. After all, they help out their friends. Under this President, many, many, many people have lost their retirements, suffered financial losses that affect their families. Do you know what happened to the Enron folks? Conveniently for the President, that news story (and many more like it) got swept under the rug. I don't know what, if anything happened to them. Hard to get the straight facts, isn't it?

That's all for off-the-top-of my-head.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 12:55pm
Of course he lowered the bar, his disdain for the military was widely known and reported on. He hated the military and did all he could to make it as weak as possible.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 1:44pm
That's why those people you think he disrespected haven't respected a President so much in the history of any president...these "disrespected people" gave him a standing ovation...you could just see how angry they were! LOL

We get it you hate Bush, move on now, geesh!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 1:52pm
OMG this is getting out of hand...LOL...the whinning, I want my way is soaking your posts!

I lost a good friend in those attacks...and I am not getting paid as much as I feel I should be...do I cry and moan and blame BUSH? No because if you read anything POLITICALBRY wrote in response to Mohadib's post, you'd know Clinton had much more of an effect on everything you are whinning about...go on a rampage about him, it would be more appropriate!

It's not like you have so many facts on why yo dislike the current President so much, you just don't like him and then your trying to justify it by blaming him for everything from here to the Heaven's waters just to have something to blame him for...LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 2:06pm
When you fly you wear flight gear, to include a flight suit (which is not a "uniform") and helmet, especially for flight in a military aircraft. That's SOP regardless of who you are, and is far more an issue of how he arrived on the Lincoln than of him pretending to military personnel (though as the Commander-in-Chief he can be considered a military commander with some justification).

That's not denying the truth of much of what you said about his actual military service, but simply observations about the manner of his arrival on the Abraham Lincoln.

~mark~

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:05pm
To clarify: I don't hate the President; I don't know him. I, along with the rest of the country, only know of his actions. Ergo, it can be said that I don't agree with much of his actions. Interesting, though, that 'hate' of him has been attributed to me, simply because I echoed a few facts. I'm concerned about our country, the U.S.A. About the man per se I have no investment. As the President and leader of our country, it is true that he has not impressed me.

Oh, my whining. I have done nothing except state my opinion. Oh, that's not completely true -- I also referenced facts to support my opinion. Funny how a mindset has been attributed to me ('hate'), interpretation of my tone commented upon ('whining')-- yet not a word about the facts, or my use of them. Hmmm.

Pages