The sorry state of California

iVillage Member
The sorry state of California
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 11:02am
What is going on with this state. They are bankrupt and their courts think that they can come up with laws that supercede those of the Constitution and the Federal Government.

Gov. Gray Davis cannot seem to get anything right, and this state is quickly fading into oblivion. The state is over $35 billion in debt, and the Governor has no idea what to do about it.

He allowed the state to overpay for power, during the power shortages, when he knew there was no need to, as the increase in the pricing was illegal, but he allowed it to happen anyway.

The Court system, which is in Chaos, more specifically the ninth circuit court, is passing ridiculous laws, such as the new "legal illegal immigrant" ruling, which will allow illegal aliens in CA to obtain identification cards, with which they can open bank accounts in CA, and obtain a CA drivers license.

I have no problem with immigration, as long as it is done legally. I have a problem with the taxpayers of the US footing the bill for the massive illegal immigration in the US. Over 500,000 people a year cross the border illegally in this country and end up staying. Recent statistics are showing that of the ones that are caught, upwards of 25% have criminal records in their former country, and 20% have also committed crimes in this country. I say, if you are here illegally and you commit a crime, you should be deported immediatly with no hearing. After all, you have already broken the law twice.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 1:59pm
Trust me I agree, I am living in California right now:(
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:10pm
I feel bad for you and the other hard working people in that state, whos taxes are probably going to rise to unprecedented levels.

Of course, the democrats will blame Bush because of Gov. Davis's failed handling of California, but then again, what else is new. I dont see New Yorkers blaming him for what is going on in New York. Pataki doesnt want to raise taxes for fear that MORE businesses will leave NY, but Bloomberg, and the other political braintrusts in NY dont see it that way. I guess they dont recall what happened under Mayor Dinkins when he raised taxes on businesses. How many relocated to Westchester, New Jersey and CT????

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:17pm
Oh yes this sucks to the tenth power...lol...and it isn't so sunny here either in "sunny" California:(
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:20pm
Guess Gray-out makes Jerry Brown look pretty good huh.

Is Arnold still looking for a political career there?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 3:55pm
I think that after Terminator 200 is done shooting he may consider it.

Either that, or he will go back to making the Conan seried.

I think he may be good for politics because he is outside of the box, and is a pretty intelligent man, and a successful businessman to boot.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 4:38pm
I moved out of CA last year after 15 years. I voted for Davis the first time because he

appeared to care about fiscal matters. Well, I was wrong! CA is practically it's own country and needs a "Rudi" so-to-speak. Workers comp has gotten out of control. Davis passed a bill that goes beyond the Family Medical Leave Act in which people are PAID a certain % of their salary while on family leave. Businesses are taxed to death there and now he wants to pay people for NOT working. A state like CA with it's large population should have more than enough taxpayers to fund just about any program they have. Unfortunately, when you GIVE to those who are not putting into the pot, your bound to go broke.

One thing I give Bush credit for and that is NOT bailing out states that have done such a poor job in fiscal matters. The rest of us should not foot the bill for a bad govener's poor planning.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 8:32pm
He allowed the state to overpay for power, during the power shortages, when he knew there was no need to, as the increase in the pricing was illegal, but he allowed it to happen anyway.

There was NOT a shortage of power it was called greed! What else could Davis had done? and Bush wouldn't step in! So, you tell me what should have been done and I'll elect you into Davis's job... ;)

"legal illegal immigrant" ruling, which will allow illegal aliens in CA to obtain identification cards, with which they can open bank accounts in CA, and obtain a CA drivers license.

I agree with the above statement, along with Amnesty which in my opinion will only encourages more and more illegals. They know if they get here and lay low under the radar stay long enough wait for a presidental election, Bingo!! Amnesty they have it made!!! We are the country where you can be illegal and protest at the Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles and not be arrested or deported! I've enclosed an interesting link www.ranchrescue.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 9:26pm
Who allowed the state to overpay for power, Bush?

Are you aware that the Governor of CA actually is responsible for the well being and economic problems of his state?

This is just typical of people looking to the Federal Government to bail them out of a problem that they got themselves into.

If you think Gray Davis is doing such a wonderful job (please tell me where), why is his approval rating in the low 20% area, and why is their a ballot being circulated for the recall of this ineffectual Governor?

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 11:18pm
There was NOT a shortage of power it was called greed! What else could Davis had done? and Bush wouldn't step in! So, you tell me what should have been done? and I'll elect you into Davis's job... ;)

You never answered my question. So, you tell me what should have been done? The power crisis was spinning outta control, and Corporate greed had their hand in the pot! (can you say ENRON) There were many contributors to the power crisis who sat on their hands including FERC and did nothing. It was like everyone was running around in circles blaming the other person!!! Yes, including Davis. I could spend all night getting into this but....Don't wanna write a novel here...I like to keep my posts short and sweet to the point! ;)

If you think Gray Davis is doing such a wonderful job (please tell me where), why is his approval rating in the low 20% area, and why is their a ballot being circulated for the recall of this ineffectual Governor?

Explain to me where in my post did I say Davis is doing a "Wonderful Job"! I live in the Los Angeles area of California- have you read all the tax increases the state will impose on the citizens of the state? Starting with the tripling of the car tax? and so on....I don't even wanna get started with the high price of gas that was at $2.60 in my area!!! I am not a Davis fan for the record here. There is much more to the power crisis than just Davis, however he DIDN'T or couldn't get the job done... The people that the power crisis hurt were NOT people like me, I could pay the higher bills, it hurt those that are on a fixed income mainly the elderly, and the working poor! Those are the ones who were getting their power turned off! I hope those that were involved can sleep at night when those that didn't have power were sweating' through the night! I wasn't attaching your post I just wanted to hear your take on the situation.... =)

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 11:01am
My take is that Gov. Davis had the responsibility to take care of all the people in his state. I thought that the entire situation was a total fiasco, especially when it was revealed that there was no reason for the ridiculous increases in the price that the power companies were charging. That was outright theft and the state should have launched an investigation immediately with those responsible held accountable.

People cannot blame this on Bush or whoever else was in the White House as this was a state Government level problem. To be honest, I am shocked that he was re-elected.

Pages