For all who supported cutting off aid

iVillage Member
For all who supported cutting off aid
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 7:29am
to interational women's clinics because of the off chance they might tell someone about abortion....

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/16/opinion/16KRIS.html

President Bush doesn't care about these women, he only cares about appeasing his right wing constituency.

Lib

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 5:28am
Hooray for Pres. Bush. If all you left wing extremists want to support these wacko 'causes' and organizations do it with private contributions!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 10:17am
So you think it's ok for women in poor countries to suffer horribly and it's ok to just sit there and do nothing?
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 12:01pm
Yes. Why should we support those countries. Let the UN do it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 12:59pm
First of all, the USA is a member of the UN. Bush and the so called pro life movement cut off our fair share of funding to maternal health clinics because they might mention abortion. Since abortion is illegal in those countries anyway the clinics don't perform them, but Bush is afraid the "A" word might be mentioned. I see in today's paper that our share of funding has been restored and that's due to the work of international women's organizations.

Second of all, we aren't talking about "supporting those countries" but about helping people in desperate need. It's called "Christian Charity" or maybe "Doing Good Deeds". But I guess you don't believe in that.

What is your problem? Are you against all charity? Are you so self centered and selfish that you can't feel compassion for those in need?

I'm getting pretty disgusted with this attitude. I've done what I can to inform you and I can't do any more.

Lib

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 1:08am
Although I would question the validity of anything I read in the NYT's these days (especially the op-ed page), there are a few key points that have been glaringly omited from that article. The freeze on funding of the U.N. population fund has very little to do with "appeasing the right wingers" but in fact can be attributed to the U.N.'s violation of the Kemp-Kasten Amendment, that law strictly prohibits U.S. funding for organizations that perform coercive abortions or involuntary sterilization. By providing funding to China's forced abortion and sterilization program, the U.N. is directly contributing to a horrible and degrading violation against women. So as a U.S. taxpayer I say BRAVO, the Bush administration should be commended for sending a strong message to the U.N. and standing up against a horrible injustice.

And by the way, there is one thing ion the article I agree with, Catherine Hamlin should be commended for her work in Ethiopia. She has treated over 15,000 women at the Addis Abeba Hospital, which is funded almost ENTIRELY by "World Vision" a christian organization dedicated to improving the lives of women all over the world. And there's also a private Fund the was created specifically to benifit Hamlin's hospital...It's called "The American Friends Foundation for Childbirth Injuries" And it even has an adoption program by which donors can directly sponsor the treatment of a woman.....that sounds like a great way to spend that tax-rebate eh :-)

And by the way the number to make a donation is: (408)720-0433

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 7:38am
Thank you for the phone number. I will be checking out that organization and will probably make a donation.

I agree with you that China's policies are terrible. I still say that cutting off all funding to all women's clinics all over the world because of what one country does is wrong. And it is the right wing that drives our national policy these days.

I have a hard time with people who lack compassion because of their political beliefs.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 9:56am
I was just reading the posts on this subject, and to me, it is a shame that abortion is a political subject, as I really dont feel it should be.

With respects to helping the women in other countries, while I feel this is a noble and just cause, I really think that we should concentrate on taking care of the problems we have here in the United States before we even consider solving the worlds problems. We should be looking to reduce the number of teenage pregnancies right here in the US, especially in the inner cities where it seems to be running rampant.

We need to find a way to teach the young children better family values (I know that this should and must start in the home), and more importantly, responsibility. How are our children going to learn these values unless their parents are the ones that show them. Children learn by example, and will tend to emulate what their parents do. I think sending the message that the government will bail them out is the wrong thing to do, because it gives people a false safety net, which should not be there in the first place. In my opinion, it is not the taxpayers responsibility to bear the burden of a child of two teenagers who wish to have sex, without taking the proper precautions.

As many other posters have posted on this board, in today's day and age, in this country, if you do not wish to be pregnant, then there really is no reason why you should be pregnant (within a 1% failure rate of birth control that is). Once we can achieve this goal, we can try to teach others by our examples.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 5:18pm
It doesn't matter what we do, America will be considered "greedy, arrogant, or a country that sticks it's nose in everyone's business"...some just can't make up their minds on what they like to use and abuse America for and what they want to bash us for! It's all greedy, everyone, and every country has it's own needs ahead of anyone else, but if the US does that, it's considered evil!
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 12:42am
Let me make sure I'm following you here....so... if American teenagers stop having sex and their parents stop taking government handouts, THEN, we can "teach by example" and put an end to child sex slavery, institutional rape and pandemic fistulas in Ethiopia?

Call me impatient, but I think I'm going to send my money now. You seem to paint this as a moral sort of "control yourself" issue, when many of the women (girls really) discussed in the OP were sex slaves, or were raped, or were actually married and raising a family. They just had the misfortune of living in a country with awful healthcare and zero respect for a woman's life. I think they could use alittle more than merely a "good example."

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 4:45pm
Yeah.

What she said.

:)

Great post!

Pages