Gephardt skips out on 162 house votes

iVillage Member
Gephardt skips out on 162 house votes
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 3:34pm
Wow, this guy can't even fulfill his congressional duties and yet he wants to be President?

http://www.hillnews.com/news/052003/gephardt.aspx

Rep. Dick Gephardt (D-Mo.) has missed 162 votes in the House this year — 85% of the total, which has led to charges that he has abandoned his congressional duties in his pursuit of the presidency.

The Republican National Committee (RNC) has seized on the absenteeism to point out that several of Gephardt’s missed votes have been on legislative and policy matters that are centerpieces to his campaign.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 1:41pm
He is the prototypical hard left winger, which is a dying breed amongst the Democrats. He feels that he is too important for his current job.

He should do as Bob Dole did when he ran for President. He should step down as a member of the House of Representatives, and concentrate on his campaign. By being involved in both he is doing neither a service, and worst of all, he is harming the constituents that put him in office in the first place.

The real reason he will not step down is because he knows he will not even win the Democratic nomination, and then he will be out of the political arena.....isnt that too bad.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 10:35pm
Should you resign from one office in order to run for a higher one? George W. Bush campaigned for and won his second term as Governor of Texas knowing full well he was gonig to start his campaign for President just 8 weeks into his new term, which he of course, could not complete. What was going on in Texas while he and traversed the nation campaigning for President?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:59am
I'm not saying that i agree with what he did, as Clinton did the same thing as well, and it seems that neither state really suffered for the worse, but as far as Gephardt is concerned, it is obviously having a major impact on his work performance. With regards to Texas, many of the items on his agenda were either being completed by his Lt. Governor. As I said, I may not agree with it, especially when it has a major impact on the persons job performance as it apparently does in the case of Richard Gephardt.

He has attended less than 14% of the votes in Congress since he began running for office. Since his work has been affected so greatly, he should do the people of his state a service and make a choice right now.....Representative Gephardt or Presidential hopeful Gephardt. That is all I am saying. If he can do both jobs, then that is great, but apparently he cannot.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 1:40pm
I wonder why the rules of congress don't allow for a sort of lieutenant Congressman to vote in his place. Maybe that's a slippery slope and soon no reps would show up in person.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 3:54pm
You are probably right (nt).