The only fair tax

iVillage Member
The only fair tax
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 5:32am
In my mind the only fair tax system would be a federal sales or consumption tax. If we had this everyone would pay taxes on non essential goods and services and the bloated ineffecient IRS could be done away with. Of course liberals wouldn't go for this because it would eliminate many of the clowns who are now on the federal payroll, that don't know what the hell they are doing.
iVillage Member
In reply to: ak55
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 3:56pm
I'm pretty liberal but I think it's a great idea. I'd love to see the IRS dismantled even it it meant I'd pay higher prices for non essential goods.

Ya know, if you have something to say, just say it. You don't have to use every single issue as an opportunity to grind your axe. Think of all the energy you'll save when you stop grinding it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 11:05pm
I agree.

The IRS is so disorganized that it actually wastes the money that they work so hard to collect from the rest of the workers.

When they recently completed the installation of their computer systems, it was found that the systems were too outdated to actually get the job done. More government knowhow hard at work here I guess.

A federal tax on goods would be a good thing, and then either totally do away with the personal income tax, or reduce it to very low levels, and make the tax code easy enough that someone without 6 PhD's in mathematics, accounting, law, economics, etc. can figure out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 9:28pm
A federal consumption tax can be a good thing. As always, it depends on how it is implemented! Just like state sales taxes, it can either be very effective or very regressive, depending on the construct of the base.

As for the IRS, their systems modernization project has indeed been a fiasco, but that is due in part to the fluctuating funding. If you have to stretch out this type of project over several years, the risk of obsolescence grows dramatically. I know that when my business put in a new system, we had a maximum timeframe of three years, with periodic opportunities to review and revise to keep up with technology. Of course, we also made a commitment to fund the project and stuck with it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 5:57pm
I'm a little left of center and I would support an abolishment of income tax. In addition to the illogical tax laws, I cannot stand that we have to give Uncle Sam an accounting of our income sources every year. I also do not like the fact that when the IRS believes someone is not paying the correct tax, the burden is on the individual to prove his or her innocence rather that on the government to prove the person's guilt. That is just not right.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:01pm
I think that type of tax system would be much more fair. Getting all those people who get huge returns for doing nothing would be hard to convince however. It really digusts me that people who pay a few hundred dollars in taxes get a refund that is more than what they have paid. Our system is unfair and has too many loopholes. I also agree that the type of tax is only part of the problem. The way the government uses the money is a whole new discussion :)

Sheenaschild