I think the problem with the US today is

iVillage Member
I think the problem with the US today is
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 2:58pm
...it's all about image. Nothing deep, nothing needed under the shallow surface of glitter (well except money).

All one needs to do is call down to central casting, and viola! Instant president!

Too bad the Democrats are fresh out of actors who can play the role of President. Too bad brains, intellignece, experience and integrity are secondary to looks and image. Better to LOOK like you have integrity than to actually have it.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 3:03pm
Um...none of those running for president in 2004 are actors or Hollywood stars. Last I checked Ronald Regan (republican!) was a movie star that became president for 8 years.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 3:24pm
Sorry. I wasn't too clear. I should have put the word "actor" in quotation marks. I meant someone who fits the image of president...that can act the part (rather than one who is really qualified). I know that Ronald Regan was the only one who was really an actor.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 3:27pm
There are many qualified Democrats running this time for 2004. Especially Howard Dean.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 4:08pm
That's my point. I never said there weren't qualified Democrats I'm pointing out that in today's society, image seems to be more important to many.

Do you think he has a chance against the stoic, lone cowboy, man of few words, GW Bush?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 11:11am
I mentioned in the other thread that I have been following and keeping up with Howard Dean for about 6 months now. Yesterday he announced his candidacy and i went to an organized Dean for America party in downtown Philly and was VERY impressed with the number that showed up. And supposedly the numbers that showed up in Burlington VT were very impressive as well.

I don't know if he will beat Shrub but it seems his base is growing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:53pm
Last I checked, he did a fine job as well.

He was a good Governor for California, and the most successful President the US has seen in a very long time.

We need more people in Government with his charisma and chutzpa to stand for what they believe in, even if it is not something that all may agree with.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:55pm
It is a shame, as I have read a little about Dean, and he seems to be a decent man, but since he is vitrually a nobody compared to the likes of Gephardt, Kerry and Lieberman, he is going to have a severe uphill battle to even get into the top three for the nomination.

He should win the New Hampshire primary, but the latest polls that I have seen have Gephardt, Kerry and Lieberman giving him an extreme run for his money.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:59pm
According to the latest Quinnipiac polls, not one of the current candidates has a chance against GW Bush as his popularity is still extremely high.

I had posted this on another thread, but the poll said that the person best suited to run for the Democrats in 2004 is Hillary Clinton, but she would most likely lose the national election to Bush by 54% to 40%, the nearest person was Lieberman and he was 15% behind her.

There is still a fair amount of time before the final elections, but not too great to make up that much distance. Lieberman is going to have a tough time as he may be too centrist for the Democrats at this time, which may not be a bad thing for the country, as many of the new politicians on both sides seem to be leaning more towards the middle.

For the most part, you dont see extreme politics of the senior politicians playing as an important a roll in the younger Congresspeople and Senators.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 11:05am
It's not that the democrats lack a candidate, they lack a Rowe to build an image. Er...but perhaps a qualified candidate wouldn't follow directions.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:13pm
*snicker*

It seems also that the Democrat or "liberal" image isn't the one that is in vogue right now.

Pages