Road Map to Nowhere: Charley Reese...m

iVillage Member
Road Map to Nowhere: Charley Reese...m
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 9:35pm
I'm submitting this as an alternative viewpoint to the editorial by Abraham Soafer. Reese is a refreshing alternative; he gives the appearance of actually caring about American interests and holding the Constitutional precept of innate human rights dear. He reminds us that we are a nation that functions under a national and international legal framework, rather than pseudo-religious ideologies such as Zionism.

http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20030620/index.php

"The basic facts of the conflict are that the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip is illegal. Israel was ordered to withdraw from those territories by the United Nations Security Council in 1967, when Israeli forces in the Six-Day War captured them. There is nothing to negotiate. Israel must simply withdraw."

"You will note that all of the international lawbreaking has been done by Israel. The Palestinians are the innocent victims, yet Mr. Bush, in turning normal human behavior upside down, demands that the occupied protect the occupier and the victim negotiate with the criminal. He demands that a weak, impoverished non-state guarantee the security of a regional military superpower, an absurd impossibility."

"Sharon will render President Bush a pathetic, foolish and ridiculous figure for the entire world to see, a man allegedly the leader of the free world who in fact acts like a puppet on a string held by Sharon. Bush's only chance to salvage his reputation will be to stand up to Sharon and the Israeli lobby."

"I personally don't think he has the guts to do it, but we shall see. Ending the Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands is the only way the president can hope to win his war on terrorism. We shall see just how much he values American national security."

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 3:00pm
Excellent! I totally agree.(nt)