The Only One W ith a Real Record

iVillage Member
The Only One W ith a Real Record
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 5:17pm
Anybody out there Dr. Dean fans? He is the only governor (OK, former) of the pack-of-nine, and therefore the only one who has had the legislative power to put money where his mouth is. They all float the democratic dogma, but none of the senators/congressmen have shown the political fire to take on the runaway train known as the republican party.

Howard Dean, from the lil ol' state of Vermont holds his line in the sand. All the (leading) democratic candidates tout equal rights for sexual orientation: Howard's state got it done. All the democratic candidates tout affordable healthcare: Howard's state got it done (Dr. Dinosaur, Howard's baby, insures every child in the state is covered by health insurance, and has one of the highest if not THE highest percentage of people insured.) All the democratic candidates are whining about the deficit (boy, is THAT a switch since my days in the 70's): Howard's state is one of eight in the black.

My point is, this is a guy who has gotten it done. In a state that is notorious for not getting anything done (which is a big reason why it's such a lovely, strip-mall-and-billboard free land to live) Howard, with his energy, enthusiasm and take no prisoners style, got things done. As a governor for ten years, he had lots of practice dealing with the politics of legislative bodies. As president, he will get things done.

This guy is amazing. Check him out. And no, I am not a paid campaign employee.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 5:32pm
Ahhh! I'm a dolt! I forgot about Bob Graham and his tenure in Florida. I'm going to have to check out his record as legislative leader, but I can say that I lived in Miami for a year right after he was out of office, and was NOT impressed. Talking about the land of strip malls. Yecchhh.

Now that I've P.O'd all the Miamians out there.....

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 10:03pm
Yes I think that Dr. Dean has real potential> I belong to Moveon.org Check out their web site. I downloaded a speech that Dean was giving and was extremely impressed. I feel that this country is in shambles since W was appointed. We need someone that is honest and knows how the real people in this country live. We need someone that actually works and knows how hard it is to make ends meet. I like what he did for Vermont. Lets hope he has the chance to do it for the whole country
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 9:53am
Dean is a Republicans dream.... If he gets the DEM nomination, Bush will win. Dean is too far left to get the votes of the more conservative DEMs.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 11:26am
I've seen Howard Dean interviewed on television. I was very impressed!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 10:34pm
Oh !! What a laugh!! Howard is a liberal. Where did that come from? Somehow, Howard's republican-lite politics as Vermont's governor is a well kept secret outside the State of Vermont. Read carefully his platform before you call this guy a flaming liberal. He does not come in a carefully labeled package.

In Vermont, liberals didn't vote for him. They went progressive. In a three party state, it was the middle-of-the-roaders who elected him 5 times. Once that gets out, the democratic old guard (ie Gephardt and Lieberman) better really start to sweat.

Let's see. I may concede a few points here.

1. The Domestic Partnerships legislation got his signature when he was Governor. That is indeed a liberal thing, and a fine thing at that. (For the record, I'm straight, married, with kids, so this is not my battle). However, though Howard got the credit for this civil rights bill, it was the Vermont Supreme Court who mandated it, the state legislature that authored the bill mandated by the court, and Howard who signed it. Though he agrees with it, he shouldn't get the credit for initializing it, and he was hardly beating the drum.

2. Health care. That's a liberally labelled hot button. Not every kid in Vermont is insured, but that's not Howards fault. Every child in Vermont is eligable for affordable or free health care, and because of that, some phenomonal percentage of kids are insured, something over 90% (I think. I need to check.) However, for those who think it can't be done without plunging us into huge debt (republicans? Surely not! ) again, remember, Vermont had a 10million dollar surplus last year.

Liberal? You spit out the word like it's a contagious disease. Depending just how 'right' your cart swings, Clinton (ahh, satan himself) was liberal. Ohh how we suffered with all that liberal peace, employment and economic prosperity. If that is what you think is liberal, then I stand corrected. You're right. Howard's a liberal, and God bless him.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 11:29am
Dean IS a left-wing liberal as compared to the OTHER Democratic candidates that have a shot for the nomination, IMO. For example, do you remember when Lieberman was a conservative up and until he ran with Gore? What Dean was in VT has NOTHING to do with what he is now or intends to "be". It IS possible to be a "conservative" on the state level and be "liberal" in the national front. In the nationals, you do what gets you elected and in this case, Dean is riding on the complete opposite end of anything Bush believes is good policy. That is why many Republicans want him to get the nomination- Because he is so far away from conservative Dems that on some issues agree with Bush (ie, tax cuts).

<>

YOU said it, I didn't!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 5:45pm
Truman said a very sage thing when he observed that when an election pits a republican against a reepublican, a republican wins every time. That's exactly what happened to the democratic party last election. No one could tell the difference.

Things have changed. The leading democrats are scrambling back to the platform as fast as their little legs can carry them (check out Gephardt's healthcare program. Even I shudder at THAT one. You think Howard is left of that?!!) Not one of the leading democratic contenders are advocating tax cuts anymore and they are backpeddling on their support for Bush's foreign policy. Howard hasn't had to back peddle on anything.

Of course Dean is running on the opposite end of what Bush thinks is good policy. You don't need to be a flaming liberal to do so. The economy is a mess, unemployment is up, the deficit is raging, there is no support for the "leave no child behind" philosophy (the dept. of education in Vermont jokingly refers to it as "leave ALL children behind, unless of course, you got the $100K from that tax cut to educate them at a private upper-crusty.). The environment is taking hit after hit, the surplus in social security is pouring out like a Texas hurricane and Bush's/Chenney's unilateral foreign policy has ensured that we, in a time when we could really use some world wide help, are going it alone,

If it's a liberal who stands against all that and shows a consistant history of fiscal responsibility and no nonsense practicality, then call the rose what you like. He still smells mighty sweet.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 2:23pm
Bush thinks? I never knew that!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 9:51pm
I've been told Bush acts like a fool so you think he is stupid. Hiding wisdom under a silly grin.

I've also been told that hard economic times aren't due to Bush but due to the fact Clinton let everyone have an 8 yr party with the false stock price claims and such. Now that Bush is cracking down, the truth is coming out.

I'd love to hear everyone's views.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 9:06pm
You would be impressed watching a cardboard cut-out of Al Gore....then again, it is almost the same thing as the real person, but the cardboard cut-out probably comes across better on the television.

Pages