Tax Cut Our Money? You Gotta Be kidding

iVillage Member
Tax Cut Our Money? You Gotta Be kidding
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 9:21am
I heard a congressman refering to the tax cut we're recieving as actually giving back our own money. Money that was ours to begin with. I beg to differ. The money I sent to my mortgage company used to be mine, but I spent it. It is now the mortgage company's. The mortgage company is not about to give it back.

However, the feds are now giving us money which at one time was ours, but is now spent. It's no longer ours. It's debt. It's our children's future. How can they justify giving it back using that as an excuse.

Our tax money is gone. It went to paying for Gw's little war.

Any comments?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 9:56am
<>

Your problem here is that you are comparing apples to oranges. We pay taxes to run our government. We are WAY over taxed. THe government spends way too much money on stupid things. Just like when you file your income taxes in February and you get a refund. It is because you paid more than your share. When you pay a mortgage company, or a bank, it is because the bought you something and you are paying it back. Guess what....When you pay your mortgage company you DO get some of that money back. Ever hear of writing off the interest you pay to your mortgage company? If not I suggest to speak to an accountant. \

<>

It is money that they should have NEVER had in the first place. It is like when you go to the hospital, and your insurance company sends you a check to pay your hospital bill, and you go spend it on something else. It wasn't yours to spend, and you still need to pay that bill. Do you not understand the government giving us our money back makes up spend that money which sparks the economy which turns the market up, which helps pay our debt? Why is it that this has to be explained over and over again?

<>

That is a digraceful statement. You just demeaned what our men and women are fighting for and dying for. I guess eliminating 34 of the world's most dangerous people wasn't worth the cost? I say THANK YOU SO MUCH and here is you MILLIONS for the tip so that we could sent Saddam's evil son's right to HE!!. Money WELL spent.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 11:11am
Oh please, you really don't get ANY benefit from your taxes? Open your eyes. The planes that land on the airport runways and NOT on your roof, that's your tax dollars. The extra computers in your kids schools may just have come from a federal grant. The money used to feed seniors who are unable to leave their homes may well have come from your tax dollars. Perhaps, in your "just" world, we should all have "user fees." I once took a call from a woman who didn't think she should have to pay a fee (another euphemism for tax) for 911 service because she never used it. Just because YOU don't use a particular government service doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Case in point, we just got a VA home loan. Not EVERYone citizen is eligible for this great program. For those people, this program of guaranteeing a home loan may seem wasteful. For us, it is a great benefit and since my DH served honorably and left with several awards, we figure the tax dollars spent on this program are well deserved and well spent. As for our "tax cuts," mine amount to a whole whopping $12 a month. Talk about your economic stimulus. And where exactly are these jobs it was supposed to create? I have a friend who has been looking since April. And until all the jobs that were lost due to this "Administration" are regained, there won't be any real "growth" in the economy, only a recovery. My whole $12 bucks is so making up for all the hits I took to my retirement investments......

Leah

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 1:36pm
Well thank you very much for that enlightening post...sigh. I am really sure that you aren't saying that there isn't any wsteful programs in our government now are you? Let's take a look...Smart Start...I children's program that clearly has no value nor does it work in helping underprivledged children get ahead. This program costs millions of dollars and shows no benefit. Let's move on to welfare. A system that is so flawed I would be here all day describing.

<>

Please tell me where you got this? Did I say ANYWHERE that I didn't get any benefits from my taxes? So I can't really respond here, except to say that no I don't think we should have user fees, but it isn't my responsiblity NOR the governments responsibility to take care of everyone. Maybe in your "just" world it is.

<>

Then she is an idiot. Just like I tell people that are complain about paying taxes to get new schools because they do not have kids. Stupid. Once again you are describing a good government program. Not one I would knock.

<>

Oh I get it, just because YOURS is only $12 that means we all get that...WAKE UP...My DH gets $115 per check (every two weeks) in his. We also are receiving the child tax credit in the amount of $1200. Guess what...We will be spending that money on a nice vacation for my kids. My neighbor has 4 children and they are gettting $1600 , and they are going to Disney with their money. Sorry you took a hit on your retirement...The economy goes up and it goes down. Something you need to think about when you invest in 401K. Unless you are over the age of 45 you have no worries. Your account should recoup itself before you retire if you invested correctly. Sorry I know I can better spend my money...I don't need congress to do it for me. As for your friend...I know 2 people that have lost their jobs, and are receiving unemployment. They just decided to take the summer off. So not everyone is desperate looking for a job. Tell your friend there are thousands o jobs in law enforcement. May not be her field but it is a good job.

<<

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 2:19pm
Kudos to you for having a decent thought!!! "GW's little war" was a disgusting statement and you were so right for bringing that to attention! i actually came to the message boards to see what people were saying about the dixie chicks and the ignorant statement natalie "big mouth" manes made to a huge crowd about our president. and what you said was really good. thank you!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 9:49pm
LOL...Thanks...I agree with you that Natalie Manes has a large mouth...BUT I respect her use of free speech. There is just a time and a place for it. I am of the opinion that if you have something to say say it...BUT I think it should be something you would not be afraid to say in front of anyone. She would not have run her trap in the US.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 10:48pm
Really...you've been hanging around that long just to hear what people are saying about the Dixie Chicks? That is surely old news by now. Most mature adults never cared one way or another what a Dixie Chick said about anything. In fact, I'd never heard of a Dixie Chick at all until this silly flap.

That being said I think that "GW's little war" is a good name for the debacle in Iraq and that his foreign policy is designed to do nothing constructive except take people's attention from the mess he's made of the economy - and it's failed at that too.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 11:51pm
That is not a disgraceful comment. It really is the truth. It definatly does not demean our troops. What demeans our troops is making them judge and jury. SInce when is it ok for another country to invade another country and hunt down their leaders. Murder in the name of safety? That is what is demeaning. The reason our children mine included are there in the first place is satisfy GW's ego. He was so concerned about the Geneva convention and rightfuly so when it was our troops that were paraded around. But now when it is Iraq's its ok. I support our troops my daughter included. Who said that they were the 34 most dangerous people in the world Gw thats who and we all know what a problem he has with truth
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 11:55pm
I thought part of being an American was your RIGHT to disagree with your leaders and not have someone call you a big mouth. I guess we lost that right unless you are bashing a democrat
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 11:57pm
I totally agree~!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 9:23am
<>

That is crap. GW has rid this world of 34 now 36 with Saddam's evil devil's rotting in He!! with this war. I would say that is not a little war. As for the economy..How quick you are to forget the economy started tanking when Bubba was in office. Had he been watching Enron and Xerox instead of boinking Monica, and whomever else, it would have started long before he left office. It isn't the job of the President to care for the economy it is WE the US citizen's to do that. The economy goes up and down all the time. If it stayed UP that little thing called inflation would flatten more people than a bad economy.

Pages