Supreme Court

iVillage Member
Supreme Court
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 9:24am
We must make sure the Supreme Court will continue to protect all of our hard won rights. John Kerry recently said: “I need you to join me in keeping the Supreme Court out of the hands of right wing ideologues. I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to choose, on civil rights and individual liberties, and on the laws protecting workers and the environment. If you agree with me that there should be no equivocation, no double-speak, no avoidance of the issue, then go and sign my online petition today. I will deliver this petition to Senate Democratic Leader, Tom Daschle, and the Ranking Democratic Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Pat Leahy, as well as their counterparts on the Republican side of the aisle - Majority Leader Bill Frist and Judiciary Chairman Orrin Hatch.”

Sign John Kerry's petition at: http://petition.johnkerry.com. Tell your friends! It is important to the future of our country, our communities, and our families.

iVillage Member
In reply to: sh2004
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 10:14am
You "forgot" to mention Left-wing ideologues as well. It works BOTH ways and what is needed is BALANCE. What a disgrace great judges are being bullied because of ONE-SIDED thinking.
iVillage Member
In reply to: sh2004
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 2:10pm
What Kerry is referring to as "right wing idealogues" are judges who believe the constitutional role of the judiciary is to evaluate laws in comparison to established criteria such as the US Constitution, case law/legal prededent, etc. They don't believe it is the role of the judiciary to create laws. Federal courts have been pirated by the left by politically oriented appointees who have appropriated the position of the courts to further political agendas. This is something Robert Bork opposed, and the coming battle with Scalia will also reveal as being his position. Ofcourse, the media is either too dumb or to partisan to report the actual facts here, rather they will simply repeat democrat mantras over and over again until the public is indoctrinated. Legislators such as Kerry like judiciary appointees who further their agendas because it makes it easier for them to face constituents who might oppose these policies. A lifetime appointed judge can't be run out of office by disgruntled voters.

It was absolutely true that the Bork confirmation hearings were hysterically oriented about Bork being against myriad socially desirable (liberal) conditions and would reverse them if given authority. The fact that went unreported was that Bork was apolitical, his position was not related to the substance of these conditions, but the process by which they were created. In the superficial arena of news reporting, this was simplified into hysterical accusations that Bork wanted to turn back the clock on "progress" or other extreme and specious rants.

Kerry is gearing up to do the same dis-service to this nation once again.