Election 2004

iVillage Member
Election 2004
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 3:50pm
I'm new here, just wondering what candidate everyone would consider supporting to run against Bush? What is the most important quality you're looking for in this person's qualification?

I guess I'm a Howard Dean supporter. I like the idea that he is more focused on the economy, health care, and personal freedom and problems that are right here in the US instead of the "terrorist threats", Iran and the Middle East. Quite frankly, I'm more afraid of our own government "protecting" us by imposing laws that will chip away further at our personal freedom.

I also was and still am opposed to the Iraq War and feel that Bush lied big time. If we could Impeach Clinton for a personal matter, that wasn't anyone's business, except Hillary's, Bush deserves at least that for his lies in the State of the Union, that have cost us many lives and billions of dollars.

iVillage Member
In reply to: isaradune
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 4:43pm
I'm just keeping an eye on all the various candidates, finding out where they stand on various issues. Truth to tell, none of them look any more attractive a candidate than Bush at this point in time. He's no catch either, but the devil you know...

~mark~

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 6:47pm
I agree with you about impeachment and I will happily support anyone that runs a viable campaign against Bush. Other than that I haven't picked a faavorite yet.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-01-2003 - 1:12pm
The difference is that Clinton lied in a Federal Court, while under oath, to a Federal Judge, which is perjury, and can be considered a felony.

Clinton could have been disbarred, but instead the Supreme Court banned him from presenting any cases to them for a period of 2 or 3 years....basically a joke of a punishment, but I really dont have a problem with it.

Bottom line is that he should not have lied in the court room. As far as the matter of sex with the intern....it doesnt matter to me....he can do anything that he wants. He is not the first politician who committed adultery and will in no means be the last.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-01-2003 - 1:13pm
This is because there mainly is no choice...

The one real candidate that I like would be Lieberman, but because of his religious contentions, he is in the same boat as Bush in that instance. (Not because he is Jewish, but because many of his ideals are firmly rooted in religion, much as with GWB).

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 8:57am
All republicans want Lieberman. Anyone that offers no contrast to Bush just keeps the voters at home, which is just what Bush peope want and NEED to survive another repeat of Bush 41.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 2:49pm
Leiberman and moderates like him is going to prove my theory about politics in the future.

The days of Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond, John Kerry and the old guard from both parties is about over, and the last election proved it somewhat. The country is so divided along party lines that neither an extreme left democrat or an extreme right republican will ever be able to get their party's agenda put forward in congress.

The only way this government is really ever going to get the things they need to do accomplished is if people elect more moderates into office.

The extremists on the Right and Left will never truly work together as it does not serve their interests.

I believe that both sides (on the moderate end) have good ideas for this country, but the extremists will never allow some or perhaps most of them to go forward because it does not suit their ideology.