iVillage Member
President Bush Keeps His Word
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 9:32pm
Here are the facts:

- Two millions jobs lost

- Unemployment over 6%

- $455 billion deficit

- Stock Market has lost 35% of its value

How soon we forget. In 2000, candidate Bush made a campaign promise to get us out of the filthy business of nation-building ... and he kept that promise. We're now in the business of nation-bombing. (Who knew in the 2000 campaign when he said he was against nation-building he meant his own!)

You have to respect a guy who keeps his word. After eight years of nothing but Clinton lies, Bush has proven to be a breath of fresh heir.

Thank you, Mr. President, for all you've undone!

Bush in 04: http://www.geocities.com/bushbumper04/

: P

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-03-2003 - 10:43am
Sigh....If you blame Bush for the market problems....Then you had better calculate in that when Bubba was getting *HIS* business taken care of, Enron, and Xerox were playing the fudge the numbers game. The market also started tanking WHILE Bubba was in office NOT Bush. If Enron and Xerox would have been busted for their illegal mumbo jumbo by Clinton instead of Bush the market would have tanked MUCH sooner. Why is it that so hard to understand? Liberals love to leave out bits and pieces of the story.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-03-2003 - 6:37pm
It is no use.

The leftists, or Bush haters look to blame GWB for everything, even if the facts dont support their claims. The bits and pieces they leave out are the actual facts of the matter, and these are omitted because the very facts they are arguing refute their own claims.

These same people seem to forget that Bill Clinton did absolutely nothing about the economy even though it began to fall during the first part of 2000, and he had been warned by Allan Greenspan about the impending problems (Greenspan warned Clinton in early 1998 of the pending situation, but Clinton did not want Greenspan to tighten the cash by raising interest rates). I am still waiting for a Clinton supporter to explain to me exactly what good Clinton did for the economy, citing specific examples, and I hope not to hear about NAFTA because that has been an utter disaster. This is one reason that over 100,000. jobs have been lost from the automotive industry alone, as they have gone from the US to Canada and Mexico. Liberals still try to blame Bush for this however.

They also seem to forget that the stock market had already lost well over 1000 points from its high, by the time GWB had been sworn into office. Most economists actually believe if it were not for 9/11, the economy would have rebounded even more by now, and would not be an issue.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 8:55am
The rhetoric is tossed on both sides, you can't pretend to think it's just Democrats.

And how many NET jobs have been created with a Bush in office?

How many lost?

When his economic policies can create ONE NET JOB, I'll eat my shoes.

And it's not so much Bush himself that's to blame, it's the people he's surrounded himself with that insist on doing things the old man, the old way. This is a new era and old man the old way won't cut it.

Unless of course, you WANT YOUR CHILDREN to pay for all the failed economic policies.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 10:58am
"Trickle Down" economics didn't work under Reagan. Why does the Shrub and Company think it's going to work now! Do The Shrub and company have any new ideas?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 11:22am
What about you Ashley or Go Left? Whomever it is you support do they have any good ideas? Hmmm???? I have YET to hear anything from any democrat that holds water. The only thing I hear from them is how much they dislike Bush, or complain about his policies. BLAH BLAH BLAH
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 1:31pm
**"Trickle Down" economics didn't work under Reagan.**

This is untrue. The so-called "trickle down" which was characterized by tax cuts produced one of the most dynamic and prosperous economic eras of US history. It didn't get people off their butts who didn't want to get off their butts, or pay them to stay put on those lazy butts, but it enabled increased production and development of value for those who were oriented toward being productive. No economic incentive is going to cure unemployment for the unemployable or those who choose to ride others coatstails.

Unfortunately for those of your opinion, the economy is starting to show substantive direction toward significant growth, how are you going to manipulate those data to attempt more specious attacks?

In truth, economies cycle according to patterns that do not fit in with most legislative terms. Who is in office, with the exception of some rather noteworthy people, ie Jimmy, "24% interest rate" Carter (I know, he is a nice man), or Ronald "tax cut" Reagan (the tax cut worked) is largely inconsequential. In fact, it is probably quite a bit like professional baseball, where the great Tiger and Reds manager Sparky Anderson said something to the effect that the managers decisions might influence the outcome of maybe 10 games a year, the rest is up to the players.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:23pm
I must disagree with your assessment of "trickle down" theory. As practiced under Reagan, high paying jobs were lost and replaced with a greater number but significantly lower paying jobs. The gap between the rich and the working poor widened dangerously and this had nothing to do with people "getting off their butts".
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:43pm
Trickle down economics was a large reason that Clinton had prosperous years during his tenure as President because he did absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:44pm
Exactly.

They also think that Reagan's economic policies didnt work.

Well he was the last President with any kind of an economic agenda that actually worked.

GHW Bush really didnt do much, and Clinton didnt do anything either.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:45pm
Exactly.

Democrats hate the facts, and the truth when it comes to Reagan and his economic policies because they were widely successful.

It is really unfortunate that Clinton is receiving credit for Reagans work.

I have asked the question on here several times, what did Clinton do for the economy??? and I have yet to receive any solid answers.

Pages