Political Influence.......

iVillage Member
Political Influence.......
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 10:40pm
Is it me, or do a vast majority of politicians, and people with influence have children who are "problem children" and take advantage of the fact that one of their parents is a prominent policital figure.

Howard Dean's son was arrested for his part in an attempted burglary, and was sentenced to attend a "class" as instructed by the court.

Al Gore's son is pulled over for DUI, and nothing is done.

GW Bushes daughters are nabbed for underage drinking on campus, and not much is done.

It is about priveledge. Lizzie Gubmnan mows down 14 people in the Hamptons with her Mercedes SUV and serves 36 days in jail??? Something wrong there.

Wynona Ryder is convicted of shoplifting but serves no time.

It goes on and on, and the people who elect the politicians or the people who support the actors/entertainers, do not voice their anger that if it were one of their children, they would have to serve the punishment of the law.

Sorry, but I just had to vent on this one. This kind of stuff makes me a little mad.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 9:12am
Al Gore's son did get in trouble. I live in NC and it was reported here, that he received a large fine, and he has to be in NC to do his community service. He also lost his driver's license for 6 months.

As for Wynona Ryder, no one really serves any time for shoplifting.

I don't know anything about the others. I agree with you...they should not receive special privledges, but that is how it works. If you are married to a doctor you get free medical treatment, you are married to a cop chances are you won't get a speeding ticket, you are married to home builder you get a cheaper house. I guess it is just a perk when you are rich and powerful.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 2:12pm
If it were either you or I that were arrested for DUI, we would have lost our license and probably spent some time in jail.

Wynona Ryder was guilty of grand larceny as she stole over $1,000. in merchandise, which should carry a prison sentance of at least a year, but she got off with a slap on the wrist.

As you said...it is not what you know, it is who you know.

I need more powerful friends I guess... LOL