W in '04

iVillage Member
W in '04
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 3:37pm
I just found this board. As a former Washington D.C. staffer and a politcal nut I have to give my 2 cents. I would stongly suggest we re-elect Bush in 2004. You see I agree with a party and a President who works to give people opportunites to get ahead instead of giving away the money of those who worked hard for it, create better schools without forking over more taxpayer money, offer creative solutions for senior citizens who need help paying for healthcare instead of scaring them and again taking money from hard working families to give to them. Liberals tend to want to keep the poor poor, the sick sick and the elderly sick and poor so they continue to have issues. They just keep repeating the same campaign rhetoric year after year. While I might be a little more conservative than Bush I think he's a whole lot better than anyone else and certainly better than any liberal. Of course in my opinion no one will ever be as good as Ronald Reagan. Wow, that felt good to write. Shoot I forgot to mention that Bush is pro-life and not pro-abortion like the Dem. candidates-another reason I support him. -Ann
http://s494.photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 3:54pm
Amen Ann! What I find alarming, is that one of the Left's prerequisites for a candidate to run against GW in '04 is that they have a "deep hatred" for this President (see the "Dean hates Bush" thread below). Their antics and idiocy are usually a source of amusement for me. But watching the DNC falling apart and grasping at straws is just quite pathetic anymore.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 4:42pm
<>

Actually, watching them self-destruct/going through meltdown is rather amusing. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch. :D

Since I'm an independent conservative, voting for a liberal is out of the question since they stand for everything I don't. So I guess I'll have to vote for Bush even though I don't agree with his education policy (throwing more money toward an institution that has failed our children for the past 30 years), his continued support for NAFTA thereby causing hundreds of thousands of jobs to go abroad, his pandering to the liberals in the form of *mandatory* rx coverage (basically increased government spending in order to woo the liberals). He may call it *triangulation* but I call it *strangulation*. He's painting himself into a corner because if he does succeed in getting liberal votes, he will have to continue to compromise his beliefs in order to maintain this new voting bloc. That will only result in alienating himself from the core of his voting base, the conservatives. Before I get flamed, I am aware that 9/11, the war on terrorrism and the war with Iraq have affected the economy. However, upon reviewing his record, it is apparent that a fiscal conservative he is not.

With that said, I am happy about the tax cut (it has jump-started the economy), his leadership regarding Iraq, his leading the fight against terrorism and that he's pro-life.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 5:38pm
I couldn't agree with you more regarding education "grrrl". I also happen to be a pro-choice Republican, which I believe there are many. So, I also don't see "eye-to-eye" with this President on every issue. But I believe he's a good man trying to secure the safety of this Nation. I think it's moronic of people to label him stupid because he verbally stumbles. It's absurd! Anyway, good post!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 8:53am
I agree. If you dont hate the President, then you just can't be a Democrat.

This is a key reason why Joseph Lieberman is not getting a lot of support from the extremists in the Democratic party even though he has some good viewpoints, and is not afraid to stand up for what he believes in, instead of spewing rhetoric.

Buchannan ended his political career on a losing note because he was basically forgotten by the Republican party because his rhetoric was too strong. He had and still has some very good ideas for this country, but his message is way too strong, and over the top on some occasions. The Democrats are going to learn the hard way that rhetoric can only take you so far.

They are self-destructing all across the nation, and even though Dean appears to be popular at the moment, current polls in a head to head with GWB show him losing badly. I am sure that both McGovern and Mondale are hoping he wins the nomination so he has a chance to unseat them as winning the least amount of states in a Presidential election. Each only one two states.

While it is slightly amusing, I don't like it because it ruins the political process in Washington. The more rhetoric that is spewed forth by both sides, the less good that they will actually accomplish for the people of the US.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 8:58am
<< his continued support for NAFTA thereby causing hundreds of thousands of jobs to go abroad, his pandering to the liberals in the form of *mandatory* rx coverage

I agree with NAFTA. It was a disaster when Clinton put it into effect, and remains a disaster that Bush refuses to deal with. To date, it has cost the automotive industry alone over 200,000 jobs.

As far as the prescription drug coverage, I think this was a good idea, but it should have been done long ago, as this is going to take some tinkering to get right, and will cost the government too much more than it should.

The RX program goes to what I have been saying about healt insurance, and I am glad that we do not have national health insurance, as this is not the answer. More states need to take the lead of Florida (I think it was this state) who just passed legislation putting caps on malpractice suits, in order to help reduce the cost of malpractice insurance, thereby allowing doctors and hospitals to lower their charges against insurance companies for treatments, thereby, hopefully reducing premiums to policyholders.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 8:59am
I like that the liberals keep thinking that Bush is stupid. It means that they are still underestimating him. Gore did, and he is now a private citizen.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 10:49am
Bingo. Succinct and to the point. Let the games begin! (nt)
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 11:01am
National Security (even BEFORE 9/11) and taxes have always been my main issues. After the 1st bombing of the WTC I KNEW it was a matter of time (it's the economy stupid, who the hell cares about "national security" {sarcasm}).

The party that addresses these two issues, and follows through on them, gets my vote. It appears GWB is the man.