A racist in the California race

iVillage Member
A racist in the California race
Sun, 08-24-2003 - 2:58am
http://www.kovr13.com/02feb01/vo021301e.htm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/14/MN141678.DTL

Everyone seems to forget he used the word N*gger while addressing an all black audience.

You don't say that word unless it's a regular part of your vocabulary.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-24-2003 - 1:51pm
Here we go again. I am really mad you are making me defend a democrat. Good grief, if you are going to call him a racist for saying the N word, then you had better call every single black rapper in this country a racist, most black people racist, and most people in general. Anyone who says that have NEVER used that word lies. I think the funniest line I have EVER heard was out of the mouth of Morgan Freeman in the movie "Lean On Me." He said something to the effect the he was now the new HNIC. When questioned what that meant they were told...Head N...In Charge. Oh don't give me that yadda yadda...that it is ok for black people to say it and not for any other race to say it. That is garbage.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 1:26am
Hi,

I disagree....I think he was wrong to say it, it is a word that carries a lot of emotion and has been used to humilate a specific group of people.

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:21pm
I don't think it will matter much. Mexicans outnumber blacks in that state, and the blacks aren't that fond of Mexicans anyway.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 3:24pm
Let me start by saying this is one of the most ignorant statements I have heard in along time! and What are you talking about!!!!!!!

Do you mind explaining this statement that you made? >>and the blacks aren't that fond of Mexicans (Mexicans are not the only Hispanics coming over the boarder!) anyway....(Are you trying to say we are still living the WATTS rites) I live in the Los Angeles area and I'm not sure exactly what kind of racist statement you are trying to make here. Funny thing is I work with a mix population of people in the Health Insurance Industry and we seem to get along pretty well even though the Latinos are the majority in my area of the company.

Yes, the Latino population growth has exploded here and yes they out number the black population by about 1 million people, (as of the 2000 census reports I have read) you wrote….but blacks aren't fond of the Mexicans??? Unless you are gang bangin’ and that is a totally different world…I can NOT make statements about who they like or don’t like but I think we all can use our common sense….The last time I checked Mexicans are NOT the only people coming through the southern boarder!

What cracks me up is You people that do not live in the GREAT STATE of CALIFORNIA have so many opinions or should I say crazy opinions about what it is like to live here. GET a clue.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 3:52pm
<<>>

I didn't say he wasn't wrong to say it. BUT to say he is a racist is stupid. If it carries so much emotion and it humilates a specific group of people, then WHY does that specific group use that word more than any other group of people? I think a word is a word. I could care less if someone calls me Cracker. Who really cares...I tend not to put a lot of value into a word.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 4:30pm
I LIVED there for 15 YEARS- and then became one of the statistics that LEFT. You are the ignorant one- because what I said was TRUE. Do you read the newspaper and listen to talk shows? Many blacks feel the Mexicans get more attention to their needs at the expense of their own. If you had some political knowledge, you would know that those with the MOST votes get the jewels (ie, the Mexicans). Money that is siphoned toward services for illegal immigrants has to come from somewhere.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 4:31pm
Hi,

Sorry I still disagree...I really don't think you can compare "nigger' with "cracker". One has a long, long negative history and other is relatively new. What a specific group calls one another I really couldn't say. I could only speak for my own ethnic group.

However, I do agree that some people do not put a lot of value in certain words....kudos to them to be able to turn it aside....

Also, I would think that the use of one ethnic/racial slur might well open the door for more to follow. Where do we draw the line? In the voting booth!

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 4:41pm
<<>>

That is garbage. A racial slur is a racial slur. So is wetback ok? That is relatively new but still just a much a slur as nigger or cracker. Like I said before...Why is it a racial slur when used by someone of little to no color, but ok when someone of color uses it? I think that is a bit odd. If one thinks a word is racist then why does that same person use it? Hmmmm Makes ya wonder?

<<>>

We draw the line by growing a spine. Racism will always exist in this country...Sad but true. We draw the line by ignoring ignorance, and praising intelligence.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 5:11pm
Hi,

I have never been called a "cracker", have never heard another person called a "cracker", I've only heard it on television. "Nigger" however I've heard a lot...along with many other slurs.

No, other slurs are not okay....my point was, In my opinion as a white person, the emotional factor of "nigger" was in no way close to "cracker" .

As I said...."Also, I would think that the use of one ethnic/racial slur might well open the door for more to follow. Where do we draw the line? In the voting booth!"

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 5:22pm
If you lived here in California as you have stated then you WOULD know it's NOT only the MEXICANS that are coming from the south! That is if you have any political knowledge yourself of the GREAT state of CALIFORNIA! I WILL SPELL THIS OUT IN CAPS SO YOU DON'T MISS THE POINT...YOU STATED MEXICANS PERIOD, GET IT!!!!!(Mexico is the country just to the south of the USA, but there is also Central and South America, as well and guess what they are coming here also)

If you are following California politics then you would know that! Your statement is racist! period! You are singling out one group of people only. So, get off your high horse and go read a newspaper and get a clue. The BLACKS are UPSET that The HISPANIC/Latino CULTURE IS becoming more powerful. NO kidding! But, if you have read MORE about this story they are not the only culture they are upset with!! Now back to the topic of Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante using the "N" word.

Pages