Dean – Truth and Consequences

iVillage Member
Dean – Truth and Consequences
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 5:54pm
Is he for real or just another politician that will say anything to get elected? How about that Dean record?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2314-2003Aug29.html

Dean Invites More Scrutiny By Switching Key Stances

Howard Dean, who sells himself as the presidential campaign's straightest shooter, is starting to throw voters some curves.

As he transitions from insurgent to the man to beat in the Democratic primary, Dean is modifying or switching his positions on several political issues. In recent weeks, Dean, the former Vermont governor, has softened his support for lifting the trade embargo on Cuba -- an important issue in voter-rich Florida -- and suggested he might opt out of the public campaign finance system he endorsed weeks earlier.

Dean also has backed off his support for raising the age at which senior citizens can collect their full Social Security benefits, a change that would save the government money by trimming monthly payments to thousands of older Americans. Dean initially denied he ever supported raising the retirement age, but later admitted he did.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 4:12pm
Howard Dean is about as straight as the Colorado river.

He is a politician who is trying to gain a position he will never be able to achieve, and in trying to do so, has to re-create himself for different blocks of voters.

He has pandered to the extreme leftists by bashing Bush on everything except perhaps his tie selection, and now wants to seem more of a centrist a.k.a Lieberman to see if he can garner some of the independent vote.

The thing that he and his camp do not realize is that this is the 21st century and the voters are more educated and are on to games like this, and it will not succeed.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 9:31pm
Republicans don't allow Democrats to change their minds about issues as time progresses. Only their party members can do that!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 11:55pm
With regards to Dean, he changes his opinions more than the other 8 people who are seeking the Democratic nomination, especially depending on the audience he is speaking to.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 1:30pm
I'm a Democrat and I have to agree with politicalbry on this one.

It's hard to know where to place Dean - with his loudest note being that he was against the war, he attracts the white 30-something Birkenstock-wearing set (a sure sign of doom for the Dems if he ends up being the candidate)... but the rest of his positions are really not that traditionally Democrat. He would not be my choice of the current Dem possibilities, though he has managed to make a big splash.

I was against the war too when it started but you know what, IT'S TOO LATE for that now. We are in it. It must be finished, and we need someone who will finish it in a manner that speaks well of our country not just to ourselves, but to the rest of the world and our relationships with other developed nations of the world.

To those of you who'd try to claim that it IS finished... c'mon, now. ;-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 9:32pm
Good post !
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 8:21pm
Would you also agree that John Kerry seems to be changing his tune a great deal to see if he can pick up on some of Dean's popularity in the polls?

I think that Kerry is committing political suicide by doing this as people do not want to see candidates that are just going to tell them the things that the candidates think the people want to hear. I think this was one of Al Gore's shortcomings in the last election, and why people associated with Bush better than some believed possible. Gore changed his stance and how he presented himself several times, while Bush portrayed himself and his ideals in the same manner consistantly.

People want to look to a leader who is going to stand for their beliefs whether popular or not, and show a little conviction.

I would love to hear a politician say that if elected, they would get rid of all income taxes, but I also know that this would never happen, no matter how hard that candidate promised it would.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 8:56am
While I do feel that Kerry is elucidating his positions more, I'm not sure what has 'changed' drastically per se. I saw him with Tim Russert a couple of weekends ago and I thought he handled himself very well and I liked what he had to say about plans for the war effort (sharing responsibility AND control with nations who will help). Now I just want to see if he sticks with this.

Though, unfortunately for his attempt to appeal as a moderate, he is a "Massachusetts Democrat," that political animal so touted as anathema by conservatives and mistrusted by moderate Dems. No matter what his positions are, if he's a Democrat and he's from Massachusetts, he will have an uphill battle.

On a purely tangential note, that Russert interview was viewed by me on the weekend I brought my boyfriend down to meet the whole family. So: me, my Mom, and my bf are Dems. Everyone else (including my Dad) are varying degrees of conservative. Must say though, everyone behaved themselves!

I'm still playing catch-up for years of being completely uninformed politically, because politics just couldn't be discussed in our house, or someone would lose an eye.

Oh, and PS: Bry, I'd love to hear your explanation of how 'no income tax' would accomplish anything other than helping out the middle class (not a bad idea, but at what cost?), and further fattening the rich, while trashing the working class and the poor. ;-) How would the government pay for social services? How would they pay staff salaries (which in some cases could be lower, I agree). Do you honestly think there should be NO social services, and people should rely solely on private charities? People will starve and die, and you know it. There will be riots. And as for paying government salaries, I guess if it were made officially OK that the gov could engage in rampant profiteering (even MORE exclusive contracts for Halliburton!), then perhaps it could get done.

Though I'm not saying that some seriously questionable financing hasn't gone on under Dem AND Republican watches.

Edited 9/10/2003 9:10:48 AM ET by frickyfrack

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 11:03am
According to Republicans, Bush is the only one who is allowed to change his mind or his point of view. Please notices how the Shrub never discusses WMP or Bin Laden or SH. Now Bush wants some help from the UN! Actually, The Shrub wants to UN to clean up his mess!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 4:07pm
While your posts are far from intellectually honest, they are amusing.

The more you post, the more I am certain that you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.

The administration, or more acurately, the coallition forces are still looking for Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and the WMD's, and it is reported on almost every day on the television. I am sorry if the channel you are watching does not carry it.

BTW, did you see the news reports that have proved the ties between Iraq and Al Queda? They have reported that there is concrete evidence to this, and there is a gentleman who is a high up in Al Queda who lives in Iraq. I wish I had the link to the story, or remembered his name. I caught the story on CNBC on Sunday or Monday night as I was working.

Bush is going to the UN to seek assistance, which he did in the first place, but the UN failed to assist at the time. Bush is doing the right thing by trying to get multinational assistance, what is wrong with that?

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 5:59pm
Do you enjoy watching Faux News? Don't you realize they will never tell you the truth about the Shrub! It's always amusing to read a post by a Bush supporter because they have a very interesting slant on "reality". Thanks for the good laugh!

Pages