Bush & The South

iVillage Member
Bush & The South
Sun, 08-31-2003 - 3:57pm
Here's a very interesting article about Bush and South. Right now, North Carolina has lost many manufacturing job. Last month Pillowtex closed and left many workers without a job. In this area, companies haven't stopped cutting jobs! Even Republicans in the south are frustrated with high unemployment in their states. This could be a problem for Bush and Company

http://www.thenation.com/edcut/index.mhtml?bid=7

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-31-2003 - 9:01pm
Ummmm Ashley...When will you get it through your head that high unemployment rates have nothing to do with Bush. I keep hoping that you will understand that one of these days. Oh BTW...I live in NC, and where I live in NC the unemployment rates are well below the national average. Oh and yes...No one here likes John Edwards, and I can bet you Bush will win NC in the election by a landslide.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-31-2003 - 9:43pm
Sure...Ashley must remember if there would be strong economic indicators, it would be to Bush's credit. Unemployment increases are never the fault of the president, unless the president is a democrat! Sheesh!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 10:53am
Please try to open your little minds! I was just trying to present a different point of view about the election next year! If you want to believe that unemployment isn't Bush's fault, go right ahead.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 11:34am
Ashley, I was agreeing with you. My post was meant as sarcasm.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 3:15pm
I apologize!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 4:07pm
Interesting point you made in your post about the economic indicators, as they are all tending to be on the strong side at the moment.

While Bush's tax cut from last year is helping a bit, it is more likely that the job market has equalized and that people are starting to buy durable goods again, and the fact that Greenspan is not yo-yoing the interest rates like he did under Clinton is keeping the markets in a steady gain cycle.

As long as consumer confidence continues to grow and strengthen, the economy will continue to recover, and jobs will actually be created again.

It is extremely tough for a President to be able to take credit for job creation (although the spin doctors do a very good job of trying to claim credit....we saw it under Clinton, and we will see it under Bush), but it is easier for the administration and their policies to actually cost Americans jobs (NAFTA is a perfect example, and unfortunately, so far Bush seems to support it).

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 6:42pm
<<>>

No wrong again. If the economy and unemployment were great right now, it would have nothing to do with Bush. BUT since you democrats have decided to make the downturn of the economy, and high unemployment rates his fault, when the economy starts upwards and unemployment goes back down, the American public will give him the credit for it. Democrats will finally tell the truth and say the economy has nothing to do with the President. It will be business as usual...you democrats speaking out of both holes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 9:27pm
You say:".....speaking out of both holes." I like that description BTW! But so are the Republicans! LOL
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 11:40pm
I live in Wisconsin and our factory jobs are being eliminted every day. The south isn't the only place Bush needs to be concerned
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 11:42pm
Who does it have to do with then??????

Pages