Another Blue state in the news.

iVillage Member
Another Blue state in the news.
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 12:45pm

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 12:00am
Since there were so few Red states last time 'round - guess most of the news would be from a blue state.
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 12:39am

Ok, how about I change the title to:

"Liberal teacher union-ran schools spying on kids"

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 10:41am

Question for all the "liberals" on this board.

How many of you think that spying into students bedrooms is a good thing ?

I'm wondering how long it will take for the OP to blame this on Obama.

Just for the record, I would be considered a "liberal" and I think the school screwed up ROYALLY. I don't condone this at all, although I'm sure the OP thinks that this is somehow a "liberal" plot because it happened in a "Blue" state. Cuz ya know, everything that happens in a "blue" state is that fault of all liberals.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 11:02am

I guess you could. I have no idea what the percentage of teachers in that school district are in a union, but those liberal teachers seem to be doing an awesome job. http://www.lmsd.org/sections/about/

<>Of the District's nine eligible schools, all have received recognition for excellence by the Commonwealth and seven have received the National Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence in Education. LMSD schools rank among the highest in Pennsylvania for SAT and PSAT scores, AP Participation rate, total number of National Merit Semifinalists, total number of International Baccalaureate diplomas granted and in numerous publications' "Top Schools" lists. Approximately ninety-four percent of high school graduates attend institutions of higher learning.>>

Here's a bit more from the superintendent of the school district:

http://www.lmsd.org/sections/news/default.php?m=0&t=today&p=lmsd_anno&id=1143

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 11:03am

<How many of you think that spying into students bedrooms is a good thing ?>>

Well, I think it's a silly question and pretty insulting to boot. Who in their right mind would think "spying into students bedrooms is a good thing"? Not anyone I know.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 2:27pm

Yes, of course it's a silly question, and I asked this rhetorically to illustrate the SILLINESS of the the title of this thread. "Another Blue state in the News".

This has ABSOLUTELY nothting to do with red or blue and the OP knows that, but deliberately titled the thread this, to somehow make this the all the fault of all liberals.

When in reality, this was extremely poor judgement on the part of some school administrators, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum.

It's not like Blue state PA took a vote, and passed a law allowing or requiring schools to set up cameras in students homes.

It's not like the entire liberal community is supporting the school's actions.

It's not like the ACLU is representing the school and defending their "right" to spy on students.

Quote "Well, I think it's a silly question and pretty insulting to boot. Who in their right mind would think "spying into students bedrooms is a good thing"? Not anyone I know. "

I totally agree. I didn't mean the question as an insult. I was rhetorically asking the question, in response to the deliberately insultling and provocative title of this post.

I don't know a single person, liberal or conservative who would support this. Conservatives might be interested in passing laws about what goes on in our bedrooms, but AFAIK, none have ever advocated cameras in the bedrooms to enforce said laws.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 2:32pm

From the link

"1. Did an assistant principal at Harriton ever have the ability to remotely monitor a student at home? Did she utilize a photo taken by a school-issued laptop to discipline a student?

* No. At no time did any high school administrator have the ability or actually access the security- tracking software. We believe that the administrator at Harriton has been unfairly portrayed and unjustly attacked in connection with her attempts to be supportive of a student and his family. The district never did and never would use such tactics as a basis for disciplinary action."

Well this is contradiction to other reports, that a picture of a student eating candy was imbedded in the computer, and he was called into the princiapl and accused of taking pills. I guess we will just have to wait and see who is telling the truth here. I think the school is covering up, I guess the truth will come out eventually.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 2:43pm

It doesn't seem like a politically rooted incident to me either. I don't think the state's leaning

"Resist, we much. We must, and we much. About that, be committed."

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 3:08pm

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/dpp/news/national/FBI-Investigating-Pa-School-Webcam-Spying-Allegations_12321928

According to this article "The inappropriate conduct" that the student was called into the office was eating candy. Apparently the administrator spying on the student couldn't differentiate between candy and pills, and also assumed that any pills a student takes would have to be illegal. I guess it never occured to this administrator that student could be allowed to take OTC meds for headaches, allergies, or whatever, or that the student could have been taking prescribed meds. After all, school routinely recommend drugging students they deem to be hyperactive. Anyway, I think the school saying that they only used the spyware to recover lost, missing or stolen laptops is BS. If this laptop belonged to the boy who ate the candy, why did they activate the webcam ? Or if the pic they confronted him with was one of his own pics, why were they snooping on his hard drive, if the computer was in his own home and therefore not stolen or missing ? And if this computer did NOT belong to the candy eating student, why was he ONLY disciplined for eating candy that the clueless school administrator thought was an illegal drug , and not disciplined for stealing a computer ?

Something doesn't pass the smell test. The old "We did nothing wrong, but we'll stop doing it" apology doesn't make sense. I'm sure they've had plenty of time to destroy evidence. Unfortunately we'll probobly never know the full extent of what happened.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 3:50pm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10457126-71.html

Some of the reports that I have read online, allege that the family didn't say weather or not the computer was reported as stolen.

However, in this link, there is a video interview with the family, and the reporter says that the family never reported the laptop as stolen.

So if this family never reported the computer as stolen, the school has lied when they say they only activated the spyware to track stolen computers.

Pages