Armenian genocide, yay or nay?

iVillage Member
Armenian genocide, yay or nay?
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 9:17am

60 Minutes did a segment on the Armenian Genocide last night.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/?pid=J6fOyBGDLXa21b4uHYKpcxyVQScKWw6s&vs=homepage&play=true

Turkey still officially denies, vehemently, that any such genocide tok place. The US still has not recognized the genocide, because of pressure from Turkey. Obama had promised that he would work to get it recognized, but quickly went back on his word once elected.

If the US recognizes the genocide it will probably cause problems with Turkey. At the moment a lot of the materiel used in the "War on Terror" is being transported through Turkey. So, is US policy on this simply prudent, or is it cowardly and immoral?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 10:11am

I'm sorry but I can't open your link, so I'll go from what I know...

The Dutch Parliament has (IMO 'finally') recognized the Armenian Genocide in 2004. http://www.anca.org/press_releases/press_releases.php?prid=689

OK so compared to the USA we are a midget, but we dó have a large Turkish and Armenian community here. We've not heard of any boycots (here or in Turkey), due to the recognition, since 2004.

Someone needs to tell Obama that he is being way too prudent (rather than too cowardly).

I seem to remember (and maybe that's why Obama went back on his promise? I don't know what your link says about his reasons why...) that Turkey demanded an increased

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 12:23pm

I think you are right that the fall-out is likely to be less than what the US administration imagines.

However, the Turkish lobby in DC is very effective, and besides the current admin has continued the idea that the Turks are "good" Muslims and should therefore be courted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato