The VAT is coming

iVillage Member
The VAT is coming
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 10:33pm

Obama's team is talking about this as inevitable but this article if very good, it hits every stage of production, very spendy to a consumer and you are not hidden if you are poor or get a credit it will hit you in the pocketbook

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 6:29pm

But that can't be so! Obama said no more taxes for people making over $200k, not one dime more! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlRY3kHhBk

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 8:47pm
I think we will see a VAT in the near future. It can be excused away as not being an income tax (at least that's an argument I've recently heard as to why it's ok and not an example of Obama raising taxes on the middle class)
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 9:29pm
That is true it is an increase on everybody
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 10:42am

Well, h*ll! The messiah has got to pay for this somehow:

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 11:04pm

To Conservwife and Mr. Krauthammer:

Ok, so let's think about this. Clinton started in 1992 with a huge deficit and deep recession left to him by Republican spendthrifts Reagan and Bush I. Then Republicans criticized Clinton for temporarily increasing spending to get us out of the recession created by them. By 2000, Clinton left us with over 100 billion dollars a year in government surpluses.

By 2008/9, Bush II turned that surplus into another massive deficit and left Obama with the worst economic collapse since all the way back to the Great Depression. See a pattern here?

Now the minute the Republicans leave office and leave the Democrats with a horrible economic collapse, all the Republicans all of a sudden get fiscal religion and start screaming "We have to stop all the government spending, we have to stop it now, quick quick quick stop spending before the economy turns around, not another penny!" This is fiscal suicide.

What Republicans did is spend money and hocked our farm when they should not have when times were good, and then when times were bad the Republicans would make it so much worse and possibly create another Great Depression.

The Republicans are the party of the worst kind of tax and spenders. They spend big with money they don't have and thereby saddle future generations with that much more taxes with interest thank you very much.

And along comes neo-conservative Republican Krauthammer whining about how Democrats will increase taxes. Where was this guy the past 10 years? Where was Krauthammer when the Republicans were juicing an economy that didn't need to be juiced by hocking our farm and spending big on a needless war in Iraq and without even fixing anything or creating a lot of jobs (like Clinton did) in return? Hello? Krauthammer, why weren't you jumping up and down then when we could have avoided all this by not spending a cool trillion on an unnecessary war of convenience in Iraq, on a massively expensive and unfunded Medicare prescription drug program, and on extending a recessionary tax cut into a period of expansion? Where were you Krauthammer?

Where were you Krauthammer? I will keep asking because until we get a decent answer nobody and I mean nobody should listen to anything you have to say. We are entitled to know the answer before you go lecturing us on how to deal with the fallout you helped to create.

Americans are entitled to a real answer. And you and your owner Murdoch will not give us an answer. You and Glenn Beck and Hannity and the other Murdoch crazies will keep shouting at us as if we can't see the reality of what just happened.

And once you've worked through the fact that Republicans need a remedial course in fiscal 101, then please compare your supposed 1% VAT tax and its effect on ordinary Americans against the effect of Republicans killing healthcare reform in early 1992 and repressing it until now. Think about how as a result rising healthcare costs ate up nearly all the wage gains of ordinary Americans over the past decade. Even assuming for the sake of argument that a small VAT tax is needed, which I do not concede, you neglect to explain that Americans would be better off with such a tax in return for having their healthcare costs under control and not saddling future generations with our profligacy, than without such a tax and a much greater increase in their healthcare costs and taxes with interest for future generations.

So Mr. Krauthammer - why don't you just sit down and think for a while, to put it much more kindly than you deserve?

Edited 4/8/2010 11:32 pm ET by littlenote
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 10:14am

"It can be excused away as not being an income tax (at least that's an argument I've recently heard as to why it's ok and not an example of Obama raising taxes on the middle class)"

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 8:33pm

Bush was not the only person responsible for this spending or the cuts, people seem to forget we have had a dem congress since 2007.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 10:26pm
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 11:14pm

<< Where was this guy the past 10 years? Where was Krauthammer when the Republicans were juicing an economy that didn't need to be juiced by hocking our farm and spending big on a needless war in Iraq and without even fixing anything or creating a lot of jobs (like Clinton did) in return?>>

Didn't anyone tell you? Spending billions to kill "others" is always acceptable. The Republicans just don't want their tax dollars spent on helping fellow Americans, esp. those who also happen to be "others" (the wrong color), ya know?

I admire your patience in replying to all the right-wing posters here. There are some whom I've determined no longer deserve replies, they are so far gone.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:53am

And once you've worked through the fact that Republicans need a remedial course in fiscal 101, then please compare your supposed 1% VAT tax and its effect on ordinary Americans against the effect of Republicans killing healthcare reform in early 1992 and repressing it until now. Think about how as a result rising healthcare costs ate up nearly all the wage gains of ordinary Americans over the past decade. Even assuming for the sake of argument that a small VAT tax is needed, which I do not concede, you neglect to explain that Americans would be better off with such a tax in return for having their healthcare costs under control and not saddling future generations with our profligacy, than without such a tax and a much greater increase in their healthcare costs and taxes with interest for future generations.

I challenge anyone & everyone on this board to name ONE government-sponsored insurance program that's either

1)